Enigma by Robert Harris

Enigma (1995)

by Robert Harris

Fatherland by Robert Harris (dbourrion)
    Alan Turing: The Enigma by Andrew Hodges (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: A fascinating biography of one of the real code-breakers at Bletchley Park. Alan Turing was the mathematician behind the cracking of the Enigma code during WWII.
    Decoded by Mai Jia (charl08)
    A Madman Dreams of Turing Machines by Janna Levin (PLReader)
    The Interrogator by Andrew Williams (simon_carr)

English (30)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (32)
Tom Jericho, a cryptanalyst working at Bletchley Park during WWII, returns from sick leave to find that his girlfriend, Claire Romilly, has disappeared. Had she been stealing secret information?

I didn't find the plot particularly interestiing but the picture of life in wartime Britain beyond the Blitz was fascinating. I actually spent 3 or 4 years of my childhood on the same street as Bletchley Park, though this was in the 1960s before it became generally known what went on there and although I must have gone past it many times, I have no memory of it at all. I do remember a lot of the other places mentioned and had great fun looking at them on Google Maps. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Sep 21, 2018 |
Pretty good. Submarines, codes and mathematics. How can you go wrong? Ending weak though. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
I'm a big fan of Robert Harris' thrillers, and fascinated by the story of Bletchley Park. As a thriller, it doesn't quite reach the heights of Fatherland, but it's still a terrific page-turner, and there are sufficient twists to keep you guessing without the plot running away with itself. That said, it is fiction, and there were a few times when I thought "that wouldn't have happened" (and Harris repeats the Coventry myth in the closing pages - although as it was written in 1995 before recent scholarship put the myth to bed, that's perhaps excusable). Well-worth reading over a relaxing weekend. ( )
1 vote markbarnes | Jan 18, 2015 |
Some parts about coding may have gone Swooosh! right over my head, but it didn't matter, I caught the gist of it and it didn't lessen my understanding or enjoyment. Turing has always held a fascination for me and although he didn't actually make an appearance in this story, he got many mentions. I especially liked the way the suspense mounted in the second half. Although I suspected some characters of not being what they claimed to be, I was still caught off-guard. Harris painted a perfect portrait of Great Britain as the war progressed and shortages became more difficult. As well as a captivating story, the details were very interesting. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. ( )
2 vote VivienneR | Sep 21, 2014 |
Picked up this novel set in the codebreaking center Bletchley Park during world war II as a follow-up to reading Stephenson's Cryptonomicon. I learnt less than what I had hoped about cryptography. And I do not find historical fiction in which the protagonists contribute major efforts to historical episodes that interesting. ( )
1 vote ohernaes | May 5, 2014 |

Robert Harrisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rambelli, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Gill,
and for Holly and Charlie
GXQF VFLR TXLG VLWD PRUA
Cambridge in the fourth winter of the war: a ghost town.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0804115486, Mass Market Paperback)

A gripping World War II mystery novel with a cryptographic twist, Enigma's hero is Tom Jericho, a brilliant British mathematician working as a member of the team struggling to crack the Nazi Enigma code. Jericho's own struggles include nerve-wracking mental labor, the mysterious disappearance of a former girlfriend, the suspicions of his co-workers within the paranoid high-security project, and the certainty that someone close to him, perhaps the missing girl, is a Nazi spy. The plot is pure fiction but the historical background, Alan Turing's famous wartime computing project that cracked the German U-boat communications code, is real and accurately portrayed. Enigma is convincingly plotted, forcefully written, and filled with well drawn characters; in short, it's everything a good technomystery should be.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:56 -0400)

Tom Jericho has been called out of retirement to join in a race to crack the Nazi's secret code, Enigma, in order to save Allied troops from a deadly German attack.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,948,267 books! | Top bar: Always visible