Prince & Knight

by Daniel Haack

Other authors: Stevie Lewis (Illustrator)

Series: Prince & Knight (1)

A prince and a knight in shining armor find true love in each other's embrace after fighting a dragon together.
    Maiden & Princess by Daniel Haack (aspirit)
    aspirit: Similar styles of books, for the same age range. Both show early readers that the prince/princess combo isn't the only option in a search-for-love fairy tale.
    Princess Princess Ever After by Kay O'Neill (Heather39)
    The Dog and the Sailor by Pete Jordi Wood (aspirit)
    aspirit: Fairy tale picture books with gay characters.

Cute little book about actual love. I would love to read this book to my future class! ( )
  bynumm | Jun 12, 2021 |
This picture books follows a prince as his parents try to find a woman for him to marry. But nobody suits. Then one day there's a dragon attack, and the prince goes to fight the dragon. In the process, he meets a knight, and oh! *he* would suit. They dispatch the dragon together, save each other, get married, and everyone is thrilled the prince found the person who will help him in his reign and in his life. *sigh* Perfect. And the illustrations are bright and fun. Wholly recommended. ( )
1 vote lycomayflower | Nov 29, 2020 |
Beautiful art and lovely story. ( )
  runtimeregan | Jun 12, 2019 |
A fairy tale picture book that subverts the usual tropes of a prince searching for a partner. While the rhymes are not the best and the action involving the dragon does not hold under scrutiny, the story is both fun and a welcome change from the usual maiden rescue.

The art is lovely. The color scheme appeals up my personal tastes and the clothing earned a compliment from my daughter, and the knight's scruffy face was a nice detail (less appealing to my daughter than to the adults reading over her shoulder).

Update: I'm adding another half star because of how rare a book like this is. I didn't know juvenile fantasy with openly gay heroes and accepting family would be almost nonexistent. ( )
  aspirit | Apr 16, 2019 |
Loved this take on the classic royalty-must-get-married imperative, told in rhyming text. The illustrator has a background in animation, which is apparent in the style. (I have to say, I love the knight's stubble.) Though, on many re-readings, we noticed some errors and inconsistencies (where did the giant coil of rope come from?). However, this should not detract from the wonderful, inclusive tale of a prince finding his perfect partner - and his parents and all the villagers rejoicing along with them.

(See also Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan, for tweens/teens, for a similarly refreshing not-a-big-deal attitude toward same sex romance.) ( )
  JennyArch | Apr 16, 2019 |

Haack, Danielprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lewis, StevieIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Has the (non-series) sequel

In this modern fairy tale, a noble prince and a brave knight come together to defeat a terrible monster and in the process find true love in a most unexpected place.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,229,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible