Good Fiction Guide by Jane Rogers

Good Fiction Guide (2001)

by Jane Rogers (Editor)

Other authors: Mike Harris (Editor), Douglas Houston (Editor), Hermione Lee (Editor)

English (3)  Dutch (1)  All languages (4)
Some 34 essays discussing fiction genres and various national literatures are followed by A-Z entries on more than 1,000 writers. The aim is "to encourage us to experiment in our reading habits." This book's value as a readers' advisory tool is enhanced by the lists of top titles in each category that is covered by the essays and the read-alikes indicated for each author.
  antimuzak | May 24, 2009 |
One of my favorite books about books. The first half lists the best books in essential categories. The second half contains short biographies on tons of authors (including "this author is similar to this author"). ( )
  booklove2 | Dec 13, 2008 |
I found this book extremely interesting. The genre essays that comprise the first section of the book were fascinating. Experts in the genres recommend a dozen or so books that exemplify the genre. I was pleasantly surprised by how many I had already read. I did make a list of 24 to read in the future- especially in genres that I am not necessarily drawn to. I may have to buy this volume in the near future. ( )
  aimless22 | Jun 22, 2008 |

Rogers, JaneEditorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harris, MikeEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Houston, DouglasEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, HermioneEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hahn, DanielEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0192806475, Paperback)

Wondering what to read next? Let the experts help you out. When it comes to reading, we are spoilt for choice, and that choice can be a little daunting. That's why this great guide to the world of fiction is every reader's best friend. Packed with accessible introductions to over 1,100 must-read authors and over 4,100 superb titles, the "Good Fiction Guide" is a book you'll go back to again and again, in the search for your next enthralling read. Every entry includes read-on suggestions for similar authors, helping you to discover great fiction by authors you might not have heard about before. "The Good Fiction Guide" also contains overviews by 34 best-selling authors introducing their favorite genre, and recommending their twelve favorite books. These include Nigel Williams writing about "Humour", Val McDermid introducing "Thrillers", and Michael Dibdin on "Crime". Whatever your preference, from classics to crime, history to humour, short stories to science fiction, the "Good Fiction Guide" has it all covered. This is an indispensible guide for reading groups, serious bookworms, and anyone who would like to read more.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:13 -0400)

Over 1,100 must-read authors and over 4,100 titles. Entries include read-on suggestions for similar authors as well as overviews by best-selling authors introducing their favourite genre and recommending their favourite books.

Jane Rogers is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,561,605 books! | Top bar: Always visible