Full Dark House (Bryant & May Mysteries) by…

Full Dark House (Bryant & May Mysteries) (2003)

by Christopher Fowler

Series: Bryant and May (1)

Real Tigers by Mick Herron (hairball)
    hairball: The tone of Real Tigers put me in mind of the Bryant & May series. While the subjects are very different, the characters are, if not of a piece, then cut from the same cake.
    The Somnambulist by Jonathan Barnes (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Similar in tone. Both are darkly comic detection novels with supernatural overtones and set in London. The entire Peculiar Crimes series qualifies as a recommendation.

English (64)  Spanish (1)  All languages (65)
On loan from sis, who is currently in love with this author. ( )
  akaGingerK | Sep 30, 2018 |
On the plus side, I liked the engaging writing style and the author's sense of humour. The quirky characters were interesting too. One word in a comment on the cover of the paperback captures it nicely: madcap! I found it a bit too madcap/farcical for my taste. Also, there was way too much detail about the operation of a theatre which I found tedious at times. However, I liked the book enough to try the second in the series. ( )
  MitchMcCrimmon | Apr 27, 2018 |
Bizarre, but enjoyable. May pursue more in this series at another time. ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
The first outing of detective partners Bryant and May, which, oddly enough, starts with Bryant's death and May has to reinvestigate their first case in order to find out who Bryant's killer is. I've read one of the later books in the series and fell immediately in love with this pair and their team, so I thought I'd go back and see how it all started and was very pleased to see that the Peculiar Crimes Unit's beginnings were as entertaining as I had hoped. The chemistry between the main characters are reminiscent of the Holmes/Watson-chemistry and since Holmes/Watson is one of my all-time favorite teams, I have a feeling I shall hugely enjoy the rest of Bryant and May's adventures. ( )
  -Eva- | Oct 21, 2017 |
A long winded attempt to recreate a fantasy, murder thriller. The story itself begins in modern day London and travels back and forth through time to 1940's London during World War II. The half a century storyline requires a lot of building to get the story off and running. The book is 349 pages and 62 chapters long. After a current day bombing that leads to a death, a partner of the Peculiar Crimes Unit has to go back into history to solve the mystery. Sounds captivating, but I had an immense amount of trouble getting truly involved or even interested before Chapter 50. Maybe if Chapter 50 had happened sooner I would have finished the book sooner. The Peculiar Crimes Unit seems like a very catching title for a very unique series and I hoped for a better first novel, although I am curious now to see if at 60 years old Bryant still continues with the unit. ( )
  SBoren | Sep 22, 2017 |

Christopher Fowlerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chlewińska, IwonaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Duha, OndřejTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Merino, IsabelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Bill - scientist, firewatcher, father (1923-2003)
It really was a hell of a blast.

A bomb rips through present-day London, tragically ending the crime-fighting partnership of Arthur Bryant and John May begun more than a half-century ago during another infamous bombing: the Blitz of World War II. Desperately searching for clues to the saboteur’s identity, May finds the notes his old friend kept of their very first case and a past that may have returned…with murderous vengeance. It was an investigation that began with the grisly murder of a pretty young dancer. In a city shaken by war, a faceless killer stalked London’s theater row, creating his own sinister drama. And it would take Bryant’s unorthodox techniques and May’s dogged police work to catch a fiend whose ability to escape detection seemed almost supernatural—a murderer who decades later may have returned to kill one of them…and won’t stop until he kills the other.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:02 -0400)

"A bomb rips through present-day London, tragically ending the crime-fighting partnership of Arthur Bryant and John May begun more than a half-century ago during another infamous bombing: the Blitz of World War II. Desperately searching for clues to the saboteur?s identity, May finds the notes his old friend kept of their very first case and a past that may have returned?with murderous vengeance. It was an investigation that began with the grisly murder of a pretty young dancer. In a city shaken by war, a faceless killer stalked London?s theater row, creating his own sinister drama. And it would take Bryant?s unorthodox techniques and May?s dogged police work to catch a fiend whose ability to escape detection seemed almost supernatural?a murderer who decades later may have returned to kill one of them?and won?t stop until he kills the other."--Provided by publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,532,818 books! | Top bar: Always visible