Alliance Rising (Alliance-Union Universe) by…

No doubt this is C.J. Cherryh in the Alliance-Union universe, but without the most common view point of the displaced, disadvantaged core character. What is displaced is the past reality giving way to an unknown new one. The pushers in a ten year cycle between Sol and Alpha and the FTL ships of the trading families between Alpha, Bryant, Glory and Venture in what the rest of Beyond calls the Hinder stars are overshadowed by the Earth Company's huge Rights of Man building at Alpha and monopolizing all the resources from Sol. Into this mix come 4 FTL ships from Beyond, including the legendary leviathan of a Merchanter, Finity's End, the plans of which were stolen to build Rights. Nobody does exposition as adroitly as Cherryh, but after 100 pages of it, the engagement with the main characters is quite welcome, even if the usual anxious self-searching is almost absent. Those of us familiar with the A-U books know how tenuous the hopes of the main characters are, but we are also used to ambiguous endings. ( )
2 vote quondame | Feb 16, 2019 |
Cherryh has done it again. In Alliance Rising she has given us a deep, interesting, and satisfying prequel to her Hugo award winning Alliance universe books, full of three-dimensional characters and the usual political intrigue. I'll be anxiously awaiting the next book in this new series. ( )
  fuzzi | Jan 24, 2019 |
Beguiled once again by Cherryh!

Starting off I found this a dense read. Having been a Cherryh reader for years I was scrambling to recall the earlier novels I'd read eons ago and to have those line up with the present happenings. Not that it's necessary to read these before Alliance Rising but as I am an avid fan I was busy sorting through what I already knew to meld this current offering of the Alliance-Union saga with what has gone before. (As it happens I was sorting my hard copy Sci-fi collection and one of the first books I picked up was a 1988 copy of Cyteen. I feel a re-read coming on!)
What a solid return Alliance Rising is to a cosmos I have freely rummaged through over the years, compliments of the masterful Cherryh!
Alpha Station, part of the Hinder Stars, unusually receives recent visitations from a number of ships. It turns out to be a consortium led by James Robert Neihart, captain of a massive space ship, Finity's End. This puts some stress on the station, particularly when security has been virtually seconded by Earth Company as part of their project to build a huge ship, The Rights of Man, at a cost that has become a financial albatross hanging around the neck of the station master and of the ships that serve Alpha and the Hinder Stations. There is a struggle going on at the command level of the station and the visit by Finity's End ups the ante. Drawn into the struggle is the Captain and crew of the Galway, and in particular crew members Ross and Fallon.
Cherryh's writing style has that distinctive gravelly, almost staccato note that conjures up the differences of those wed to star travel, and of the family ships like Galway running on luck, hope and the often uncanny ability to parse the cards one's dealt.
Pride and loyalty to one's ship is foremost but a time has come when the Merchanter families need to band together. And it starts here!
As always with Cherryh, a masterpiece is unfolding, and I'm thrilled to have a front row seat. I have stars in my eyes!

A NetGalley ARC ( )
1 vote eyes.2c | Jan 7, 2019 |

C. J. Cherryhprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fancher, Jane S.Authormain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Betsy, for making this book possible.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,556,710 books! | Top bar: Always visible