Life of a Good-for-Nothing by Joseph von…

Life of a Good-for-Nothing (1826)

by Joseph von Eichendorff

My TBR (254)
(37)

English (2)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (5)
A nice little story in a very handy small book, that I read while travelling to Oxford. Another one to tick off my 1001-list :-)
I liked the story, but do not have very much more to say about it. At first I had difficulty getting into the book because of the language that was used, but after a while that got a lot better. I did not read it when I was in grammar school, because I picked other books, but now I've finally made up for that. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Apr 14, 2015 |
The discrepancy between hedonists and Philistines, old as the world, in a version of German Romanticism
  hbergander | Mar 10, 2011 |

Eichendorff, Joseph vonAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cases, CesareForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Glenny, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mann, ThomasContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Natoli, UgoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Noorbeek, AndréTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ras, G.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Das Rad an meines Vaters Mühle brausste und rauschte schon wieder recht lustig, der Schnee tröpfelte emsig vom Dache, die Sperlinge zwitscherten und tummelten sich dazwischen; ich sass auf der Thürschwelle und wischte mir den Schlaf aus den Augen, mir war so recht wohl in dem warmen Sonnenscheine.

The Life of a Good-for-nothing is a delightful picaresque tale and a classic of German literature. Despaired of by his father and impatient with his lot, a young man hears the enticing call of life on the road. Leaving his home and all that he knows, he embarks upon a journey in search of adventures and glory. One day enjoying fortune and plenty, the next at the mercy of villains and rogues, his life becomes one full of chance and wonder.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,746,257 books! | Top bar: Always visible