Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston

Red, White & Royal Blue

by Casey McQuiston

THE INSTANT NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER that is a *MUST-READ BOOK* for US WEEKLY, VOGUE, NPR, ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY, OPRAHMAG.COM, and more! What happens when America's First Son falls in love with the Prince of Wales? When his mother became President, Alex Claremont-Diaz was promptly cast as the American equivalent of a young royal. Handsome, charismatic, genius--his image is pure millennial-marketing gold for the White House. There's only one problem: Alex has a beef with the actual prince, Henry, across the pond. And when the tabloids get hold of a photo involving an Alex-Henry altercation, U.S./British relations take a turn for the worse. Heads of family, state, and other handlers devise a plan for damage control: staging a truce between the two rivals. What at first begins as a fake, Instragramable friendship grows deeper, and more dangerous, than either Alex or Henry could have imagined. Soon Alex finds himself hurtling into a secret romance with a surprisingly unstuffy Henry that could derail the campaign and upend two nations and begs the question: Can love save the world after all? Where do we find the courage, and the power, to be the people we are meant to be? And how can we learn to let our true colors shine through? Casey McQuiston's Red, White & Royal Blue proves: true love isn't always diplomatic. "I took this with me wherever I went and stole every second I had to read! Absorbing, hilarious, tender, sexy--this book had everything I crave. I'm jealous of all the readers out there who still get to experience Red, White & Royal Blue for the first time!" - Christina Lauren, New York Times bestselling author of The Unhoneymooners "Red, White & Royal Blue is outrageously fun. It is romantic, sexy, witty, and thrilling. I loved every second." - Taylor Jenkins Reid, New York Times bestselling author of Daisy Jones & The Six… (more)
    A Royal Shade of Blue by Aven Ellis (Anonymous user)

Wildly romantic story which quotes some fabulous love letters and has the benefit of having some real issues separate those whom true love has joined. For me it dragged a bit in the final third, but the rest of the flow was sprightly and the characters were fun to spend time with. ( )
  quondame | Jan 3, 2020 |
Oh my gosh, how I loved this book! When I saw this book offered as one of the selections for Book of the Month, I immediately knew that I had to have it. I have heard great things about the book from a lot of different reviewers so I wanted to see what all of the fuss was about for myself. Well, I quickly figured out that this book was worthy of all the hype it has received. I had a great time with this book from start to finish and am so happy that I had the chance to give it a read.

Alex is the son of the President of the United States. His mom is the first woman elected into that office and his father holds a seat in Congress. He plans to run for public office himself someday and enjoys getting involved in politics. He does have a bit of a problem with one of the English princes and he has a royal wedding to attend where he is sure to run into the prince in question and maybe even share a bit of cake. When things go wrong at the wedding, those in charge decided that Alex and Henry need to spend some time together and show the press that they are actually friends.

I loved Alex and Henry. The story is told from Alex's point of view so we do see more of what is going on in his world but I have to admit that Henry stole my heart. Henry had so many things to deal with and his life was under the control of others. He was such a caring character and I just wanted to see things work out for him. Alex was also amazing. He had a lot to figure out in this story but he wasn't afraid to take risks when necessary. I thought that the supporting cast of characters was also very well done.

I thought that the romance was very well done. I really liked how their relationship developed and enjoyed seeing them turn to each other more and more as the story progressed. Most of the time, these two had an ocean between them but I really enjoyed all of the texts, emails, and phone calls they shared. When they were together, it was special. These two had fantastic chemistry that only grew stronger throughout the book.

I would highly recommend this book to others. I was swept away by this story and felt like I was right there with Alex and Henry cheering them towards their happily ever after. I look forward to reading more from this author in the future. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Dec 30, 2019 |
It's a well-written narrative. However, it is far too lengthy for my taste. The characters are complex. It's almost mythical structurally. It re-purposed the 2016 Presidential email scandal between Clinton and the current POTUS.

In a strange way, it romanticizes the international relations between the U.S. and the U.K.

It's not light reading. At times, it's funny. But there are also moments when it can be crass.

Readers must focus intently on the positive pieces of the relationship circle between Alex, Henry, and the woman president.

This is a novel made for people who needed to reconcile the loss of the first female United States' president. ( )
  HaroldMillican | Dec 15, 2019 |
Let me be clear, before I'm absolutely eviscerated by my loved ones for not giving this 5 stars: I really, really loved this story. The last chapter made me cry. I rooted for Alex and for Henry the whole time. I loved the cast of characters. I loved the ending.

I just didn't love the writing. It's a good book, don't get me wrong, and I really did enjoy reading it. But the writing just didn't work for me, particularly in the first half of the book. Some of the exposition felt clumsy and Disney-like, and there were scenes that felt like they were trying too hard to connect to today's youth that they made me cringe. However, I'm also not used to reading YA or NA, so it's possible that's just a genre feature that will take me some getting used to.

However, Casey certainly has a knack for the comical, and the book had me literally laughing out loud at times (THE POWERPOINT OH MY GOD). They also mastered the characters, who felt simultaneously like caricatures and real people. I don't know how else to describe them.

And also, this book is IMPORTANT. It's so important to have queer romances like this represented in major print, and I'm really glad I read the book!!! All in all, would recommend, and I'm excited to see how Casey grows from here!

EDIT: ALSO REALLY EXCITED TO SEE THIS ON THE BIG SCREEN BECAUSE I PERSONALLY FEEL IT MAY WORK BETTER AS A SCREENPLAY ( )
1 vote Bran_Pap | Dec 5, 2019 |
Yaaaas! ( )
  mdunagan | Dec 3, 2019 |
for the weirdos & the dreamers
On the White House roof, tucked into a corner of the Promenade, there’s a bit of loose paneling right on the edge of the Solarium.
History, huh?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,625,802 books! | Top bar: Always visible