HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Red, White, and Royal Blue

by Casey McQuiston

What happens when America's First Son falls in love with the Prince of Wales? When his mother became President, Alex Claremont-Diaz was promptly cast as the American equivalent of a young royal. Handsome, charismatic, genius?his image is pure millennial-marketing gold for the White House. There's only one problem: Alex has a beef with the actual prince, Henry, across the pond. And when the tabloids get hold of a photo involving an Alex-Henry altercation, U.S./British relations take a turn for the worse. Heads of family, state, and other handlers devise a plan for damage control: staging a truce between the two rivals. What at first begins as a fake, Instragramable friendship grows deeper, and more dangerous, than either Alex or Henry could have imagined. Soon Alex finds himself hurtling into a secret romance with a surprisingly unstuffy Henry that could derail the campaign and upend two nations and begs the question: Can love save the world after all? Where do we find the courage, and the power, to be the people we are meant to be? And how can we learn to let our true colors shine through? Casey McQuiston's Red, White & Royal Blue proves: true love isn't always diplomatic. Praise for Red, White & Royal Blue: "Effervescent and empowering on all levels, Red, White & Royal Blue is both a well-written love story and a celebration of identity." ? NPR "I took this with me wherever I went and stole every second I had to read! Absorbing, hilarious, tender, sexy?this book had everything I crave. I'm jealous of all the readers out there who still get to experience Red, White & Royal Blue for the first time!" - Christina Lauren, New York Times bestselling author of Love and Other Words and Roomies " Red, White & Royal Blue is outrageously fun. It is romantic, sexy, witty, and thrilling. I loved every second." - Taylor Jenkins Reid, author of The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo and Maybe in Another Life… (more)
    The Spare by Miranda Dubner (Sam_Ash)
    Sam_Ash: Family dynamics of world leaders, family bonds, bisexual/gay princes and the ramifications of coming out when you are royalty
    Project Hero by Briar Prescott (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: Both "Project Hero" and "Red, White & Royal Blue" are fun coming of age stories involving young college age men entering their first serious relationships.
    Carry On by Rainbow Rowell (Anonymous user)
    A Royal Shade of Blue by Aven Ellis (Anonymous user)

Nicely written but much longer than was needed for the plot line. ( )
  Connorz | Jan 4, 2023 |
Fairly entertaining characters, some excellent humorous set pieces (I laughed out loud a few times) and a zippy plot. Quite enjoyable (even if I did get a bit pedantically irritated with some of the more implausible political bits). ( )
  JBD1 | Dec 31, 2022 |
One of my bar none top five favorites of the year, and I'm so glad it won both Best Debut Novel and Best Romance of the year, over everything in the world else. I super don't even want to spoil people with a clear write-up of everything, so that it doesn't spoil all of the glory.

This is an amazing comedy-romance-political-drama between Alex, the biracial, bisexual First Son of the (female!) President of the United States and Henry, the youngest, very gay, Prince of England. It will make you laugh out loud. It will make you blush in public. It will have you tearing up. You will read it like it is the best fanfic you could never put down, with every single trope done well and happily.

I could not have asked for more from this book. Go read it. Right now. ( )
  wanderlustlover | Dec 27, 2022 |
Wow, that was great! Henry and Alex have such great chemistry. I might be a little jealous^^
The only thing I wasn't the biggest fan of, was the politics part of the book.
Not that it was written badly or anything, but I liked the romance part a little better, lol.
I guess nonstop romance would get boring after all.

Dietmar_Schwarz | Dec 1, 2022 |
4,3 stars

- I liked the characters (Nora - I disliked the politics (makes me sick just thinking about just how much more convoluted the US politics actually are.)
- I really liked the family dynamics of the first family
- I felt really sorry for Henry for his situation
- I enjoyed immersing myself in the fantasy of one day living in a world where US politics were run by common sense instead of conniving bigotry
- I enjoyed the tension in the first third of the story
- I was bored through the second third
- My cavities got cavities from the last third

All in all, this was good. Not as good as all the hype led me to believe, but good still. This is a good read for when you want something light, fluffy (well, mostly), and hopeful. ( )
  tuusannuuska | Dec 1, 2022 |

Casey McQuistonprimary authorall editionscalculated
de Ocampo, RamonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for the weirdos & the dreamers
On the White House roof, tucked into a corner of the Promenade, there’s a bit of loose paneling right on the edge of the Solarium.
History, huh?

First Son Alex Claremont-Diaz is the closest thing to a prince this side of the Atlantic. With his intrepid sister and the Veep’s genius granddaughter, they’re the White House Trio, a beautiful millennial marketing strategy for his mother, President Ellen Claremont. International socialite duties do have downsides—namely, when photos of a confrontation with his longtime nemesis Prince Henry at a royal wedding leak to the tabloids and threaten American/British relations. The plan for damage control: staging a fake friendship between the First Son and the Prince.

As President Claremont kicks off her reelection bid, Alex finds himself hurtling into a secret relationship with Henry that could derail the campaign and upend two nations. What is worth the sacrifice? How do you do all the good you can do? And, most importantly, how will history remember you?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,619,855 books! | Top bar: Always visible