Walking Home: A Woman's Pilgrimage on the Appalachian Trail

by Kelly Winters

Part outdoor adventure, part memoir, this is an emotional and spiritual account of six months spent by the author on the Appalachian Trail which stretches from Georgia to Maine and covers some 2,000 miles of excptionally wild country. Overcoming exhaustion, hunger, injuries and loneliness, Winters captures the sense of majestic isolation, moments of staggering beauty and startling terror, and the conflicting senses of exhilaration and futility that exist in outdoor adventure. Truthful, often funny, this is an exciting account of an exceptional journey.… (more)

I thoroughly enjoyed this memoir describing the author's journey on the Appalachian Trail. I appreciated her positive outlook, her honesty, the depictions of the interesting personalities she met on the trail, and most of all the detailed descriptions of everything, big and small, that she encountered while hiking. ( )
  mathgirl40 | Apr 8, 2021 |
This certainly was a pilgrimmage, and in terms of spiritual renewal and positive life-altering outcomes a very beneficial one. It was inspiring to read a trail book that spoke about the seeking aspect of the journey. ( )
  andersonden | Dec 25, 2008 |
I devoured this book. That doesn't sound very nice, does it? Devour is the only way I can describe the feeling I had when I was able to take a lunch break at work and read more of the book. Even though I was sitting in a relatively comfortable room, scarfing down my lunch, I could feel the pain of hunger, the ache in my joints, and the general weariness that she described throughout the story. At the same time, I could feel a cool wind on my face, and smell the crisp scent of wet woods and dirt.
  eclecticlibrarian | Nov 9, 2005 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 205,895,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible