HomeGroupsTalkExploreZeitgeist
Search Site
This site uses cookies to deliver our services, improve performance, for analytics, and (if not signed in) for advertising. By using LibraryThing you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your use of the site and services is subject to these policies and terms.
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Loading...

The Rider (1978)

by Tim Krabbé

Other authors: See the other authors section.

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
5362235,141 (4)27
The Rider describes one 150-kilometer race in 150 pages. In the course of the narrative, we get to know the forceful, bumbling Lebusque, the fine-snared aesthete Bartholemy, the young Turk Reilhan and the mysterious 'rider from Cycles Goff'. Krabbe battles with and against each of them in turn, failing on the descents, shining on the cols, suffering on the (false) flats. The outcome of the race is, in fact, merely the last stanza of an exciting and too-brief paean to stamina, suffering and the power of humour. This is not a history of road racing, a hagiography of the European greats or even a factual account of his own amateur cycling career. Instead, Krabbe allows us to race with him, inside his skull as it were, during a mythical Tour de Mont Aigoual.… (more)
  1. 00
    Once a Runner by John L. Parker (nickl)
    nickl: If you like running, and also like cycling. "The Rider" and "Once a Runner" are the two best fictional sports books I've ever read.
  2. 00
    What I Talk About When I Talk About Running: A Memoir by Haruki Murakami (gust)
    gust: Krabbé heeft het over wielrennen. Ook autobografisch, maar literair beter uitgewerkt dan Murakami.
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 27 mentions

English (12)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (2)  All languages (22)
Showing 1-5 of 12 (next | show all)
W.a.t. e.e.n. b.o.e.k!

Heerlijk. Van de eerste tot de laatste letter heb ik genoten, gesmuld en gulzig meegekoerst door de literaire autobiografische wielerklassieker die Krabbé 5 maanden voor mijn geboorte publiceerde.

In 'De renner' beschrijft Tim Krabbé zijn deelname aan de Ronde van Mont Aigoual in juni 1977, een 137km lange koers met verschillende beklimmingen en de 309de koers waar Krabbé aan deelneemt.

"De Ronde van Monta Aigoual is de mooiste en de zwaarste koers van het seizoen"

Krabbé beschrijft minutieus de koers van km tot km, waar hij zich in de koers bevindt, wat er gebeurt, hoe hij zich voelt of welke gedachtes hij heeft. Je kan als lezer niet anders dan meeleven in het koersverloop en vol spanning mee naar de finish lezen.
Wanneer Krabbé zijn gedachtes deelt, steek je als lezer best wel wat op over hoe er gekoerst wordt en wat de geplogenheden tijdens zo'n wedstrijd zijn. Maar ook over wat afzien is, wat motiveren is, waar Krabbé wel of niet op de fiets wil zitten.

Daarnaast krijg je anekdotes en verhalen mee over de grootste koersen of legendarische wielrenners, want

"het is een misverstand dat je het aan de werkelijkheid zou kunnen overlaten zichzelf te vertellen. (...) De werkelijkheid mist de kern van de zaak; om een duidelijk beeld te geven heeft de werkelijkheid een hulpmiddel nodig, de anekdote."

Laat je niet vangen door het thema of wat een beperkte verhaallijn lijkt: De Renner is een literair pareltje an sich. Natuurlijk is het allemaal veel mooier, grootser en indrukwekkender als je van koers, fietsen of wielrennen houdt, maar lezenswaardig is het sowieso. Meeslepend en vol inhoud. Straf. Heel straf. Echt waar. ( )
  GertDeBie | Mar 22, 2021 |
This was The Peregrine all over again except it was about cycling, competition cycling. Throughout the whole of the book you are on that bicycle sweating, pumping, calculating and grinding your way up those hills. To say this book is intense is a complete understatement, it is more like a mind swap. I could feel the rain on my face and feel the spray from the bicycles in front of me every step of the way. Even if, like me, you have no interest in cycling or indeed any other sport, this book should be read just for the sheer concentration and intensity that went into it. ( )
1 vote Ken-Me-Old-Mate | Sep 24, 2020 |
A first person account of a race with great personality, of a healthy respect for middle aged mediocrity. Loved it! Fresh! ( )
  bsmashers | Aug 1, 2020 |
A fantastic, dense, fast paced first-person account of riding the 137 km Tour de Mont Aigoual bike race. At the start Tim Krabbe glances at the tourists and locals watching and thinks, 'Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me.' The kilometres of the race roll and are described as riders make a break or get left behind. Tim Krabbe is in the leading break and is hoping to win. The tension increases as I turned each page. Occasionally the narrative leaves the race to describe previous races or tell us about cycle racing heroes, we are in Tim Krabbe's head as his thoughts wander through his own short racing history and the longer history of the sport. As the race goes on and he becomes more tired his thoughts make less sense and we enter a dream world for a time. The reader is taken to the depths of despair with a poor descent and a puncture and to the highs when all is going well and another rider is left behind. The drive and the selfishness of a racing cyclist is displayed as well as the frustrations of a cyclists who refuses to take his turn at the front of a break, a 'wheel sucker'. Towards the end he writes, 'At any given moment, every human being has at his disposal a brief, intense death struggle that doesn't hurt and which lasts twelve seconds. That's the animal sprint. Of all the things that prevent the rider from achieving the speed of light during those twelve seconds, pain is not one.' If you have ever watched a cycle race and tried to guess what is going on in the rider's minds as they sit in the peloton or make a break for the lead then this book will answer all those questions. It is well written and a brilliant read. The adrenaline and pain, the joyous victories and the despair of losing, the loyalty and the competitiveness are all here. ( )
1 vote CarolKub | Jan 5, 2017 |
Showing 1-5 of 12 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review

» Add other authors (3 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Krabbé, Timprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Garrett, SamTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hedlund, MagnusTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Penta basics (95B05)
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Canonical title
Information from the Dutch Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Information from the Dutch Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Important places
Information from the Dutch Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
First words
"Warm, bewolkt weer. Ik pak mijn spullen uit de auto en zet mijn fiets in elkaar. Vanaf terrasjes kijken toeristen en inwoners toe. Niet-wielrenners. De leegheid van die levens schokt me."

English:
"Hot and overcast. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me."
Quotations
Last words
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Original language
Information from the Dutch Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Canonical DDC/MDS
Canonical LCC

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (1)

The Rider describes one 150-kilometer race in 150 pages. In the course of the narrative, we get to know the forceful, bumbling Lebusque, the fine-snared aesthete Bartholemy, the young Turk Reilhan and the mysterious 'rider from Cycles Goff'. Krabbe battles with and against each of them in turn, failing on the descents, shining on the cols, suffering on the (false) flats. The outcome of the race is, in fact, merely the last stanza of an exciting and too-brief paean to stamina, suffering and the power of humour. This is not a history of road racing, a hagiography of the European greats or even a factual account of his own amateur cycling career. Instead, Krabbe allows us to race with him, inside his skull as it were, during a mythical Tour de Mont Aigoual.

No library descriptions found.

Book description
Haiku summary

Popular covers

Quick Links

Rating

Average: (4)
0.5
1
1.5 1
2 8
2.5 4
3 23
3.5 12
4 62
4.5 13
5 47

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,501,212 books! | Top bar: Always visible