About a Boy (1998)

by Nick Hornby

Will Behr lives on his own and does not want children, but he does see the point of single mothers, especially if they look like Julie Christie. Then he meets Marcus, whose parents have split up and who is being persecuted by bullies. Marcus discovers that Will has a lot to teach him about life.

English (123)  German (3)  Italian (2)  Norwegian (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (131)
I really enjoyed this book and it was an easy read. I found some of the conversations about suicide to be helpful and quite inspirational. ( )
  zacchaeus | Dec 26, 2020 |
I hadn't read this before, I had seen the film in the cinema and enjoyed it, (another one where I had bought and enjoy playing the soundtrack). The film is surprisingly close to the book, although there are a few little differences here and there - understandable as it is a book, not a screenplay.
The depth of the characters - even the apparently shallow characters is excellent. They are captured really well. The story is excellent, and the progression of the story is well-paced. Thoroughly enjoyable. ( )
  Vividrogers | Dec 20, 2020 |
This was laugh out loud funny and my favorite Nick Hornby book. I liked the movie but the book was much better. ( )
  baruthcook | Aug 26, 2020 |
This novel started off really promising and I was really enjoying it but it seemed to taper off towards the end. The character growth didn't seem earned or deep enough. The resolution was rushed and it was hardly a resolution at all. Hmm, not sure if I'll be trying another Nick Hornby in a hurry. ( )
  mackinsquash | Aug 15, 2020 |
Of course I couldn't help but picture Hugh Grant in every page so naturally I loved the book. The ending was so much more interesting than the film. Quick read, perfect for a day at the pool. ( )
  gakgakg | May 28, 2020 |
A follow-up to High Fidelity, British writer Hornby's superb 1996 novel about pop-music obsession, About A Boy (the film rights to which have reportedly been sold for $3 million) is an acerbic, emotionally richer yet no less funny tale. Will (36, single, lonely, in search of a girlfriend and a life) meets Marcus (12, lonely, in search of happiness for himself and his suicidal mother). At first, befriending Marcus is merely an attempt to assuage a guilty conscience brought about by a life of leisure.

Love and thanks to David Evans, Adrienne Maguire, Caroline Dawnay, Virginia Bovell, Abigail Morris, Wendy Carlton, Harry Ritchie and Amanda Posey.
In memory of Liz Knights.
'Have you split up now?'
It was terrible.  Terrible! But driving really fast behind the ambulance was fantastic.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,022,349 books! | Top bar: Always visible