dismiss

A Heartbreaking Work Of Staggering Genius :…

A Heartbreaking Work Of Staggering Genius : A Memoir Based on a True Story (2000)

by Dave Eggers

A compelling voice for Generation X, Eggers here recounts his early 20s, caring for his younger brother after their parents' unexpected deaths and his endeavors in a variety of media.

English (25)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (28)
I abandoned this quickly. It is clearly incredible but I didn't have it in me to go through so much sadness at the time ( )
  claudio.svaluto | Jul 31, 2019 |
Digital audio read by Dion Graham

Water the Flowers!

I had heard about this memoir when it first came out and had it on my TBR ever since. I was intrigued by a book written by a young man who took on the responsibility for raising his much younger brother after both their parents died within a few weeks of one another. I expected some tragic, emotionally charged scenes and some sense of enlightenment or inspiration. I read another book by Eggers and really enjoyed it, so when the audio finally came in from the library, I was pleased to finally get to this on our long drive to Texas.

It’s clear that Eggers is intelligent. Obviously the circumstances that resulted in his guardianship of his baby brother were tragic, and every older sibling’s nightmare. I should have read the reviews by Goodreads members before I decided to finally read / listen to the book.

I found Eggers self-absorbed, immature, irresponsible and totally lacking in any insight. I really pity his little brother who might have been better off raised by wolves.

The most entertaining part of the book is the forward/preface/acknowledgments/copyright notice … which on the audiobook are read at the very end. Had this come first, I might have gone into the book expecting something more on the lines of satire, and (while satire is not my favorite genre) had different expectations and a different take on the work. But I went into it expecting a memoir of a tragic and difficult time in a young man’s life, and some reflection / insight / growth in character as a result. Too bad for me. Well, the preface,etc gets him one star.

Dion Graham does a reasonably good job reading the audiobook. Not his fault that the F bomb is used so often or that the writer gives us a manic narrative. (Not helped by my decision to listen at double speed to get through the 13 hours faster.) ( )
  BookConcierge | Dec 12, 2018 |
Back in the day, I loved Might magazine and the first few issues of McSweeneys, too. This book was good, but sections of it gave me the impression of being fillers.

I read it when the hardback version when it was new, just on the stands, and kept it for several years afterwards. I always thought of it as being as good as Might and McSweeneys but found I never reread any of it, unlike I do with my favorite fiction. That's when I realized it was readable, but not very memorable for me. ( )
  TheMagnificentKevin | Oct 12, 2018 |
I've read & enjoyed some recent nonfiction books by this author and turned to some of his earlier writings. This book has been labeled as brilliant, but I'm not a fan of this "stream of consciousness" writing. Too many words to say to little. ( )
  MM_Jones | Apr 6, 2018 |
…nel senso proprio di farci un buco nel mezzo, toglierne la parte centrale…
perché, cavolo! ..ce l’avevi quasi fatta, Dave! – ecco, sì.. mi riferisco proprio a te, visto che tu hai avuto la faccia tosta di riferirti direttamente a noi lettori, manco fossimo tuoi amici.. costretti per affetto a sorbirci i tuoi bla bla bla.. i tuoi attacchi di megalomania, le tue paranoie e i tuoi vaneggiamenti visionari – ce l’avevi quasi fatta, dico.

già da quella trovata delle note di copyright… hihihi, quando mai mi ricapiterà tra le mani un libro che pretende di esser letto già dalle note di copyright! :D
e quei suggerimenti poi! …wow, ti meriti un applauso! ..bel modo di tirarti fuori da ogni responsabilità! …”io ve l’avevo detto!”, giusto?!
ok, non c’è che dire, quel che di certo non ti manca.. o non manca al tuo libro, è l’autoconsapevolezza dei propri limiti.
ci sei riuscito veramente a scrivere un libro autoreferenziale, mica ci credevo: bravo!

però, te lo devo dire, forse forse non è vero che tutta la parte pre-libro merita di essere saltata.. anzi, è proprio in quella che mi son fatta la gran parte di risate, e dove tu cominci a farti conoscere per quell’egocentrico, logorroico, tenero simpaticone che sei.
per il resto… è vita.
e allora di che cavolo ti sto rimproverando? …in fondo, come dici, non sei stato tu a chiederlo, no!?
e no, decisamente non è necessario fare “finta che sia una finzione”, la vita è vita.. piuttosto diseguale e spesso poco interessante.
ma tu, lasciatelo dire (e non mandarmi affanculo):
sei proprio un bravo fratello! ^_^

p.s.: magari un giorno ci proverò davvero a leggere questo libro come una ciambella, saltando la parte centrale, dalla 203 alla 295, proprio come dici tu.. così, giusto per vedere com’è.
però non te lo prometto.

p.p.s.: ...e comunque è un 4---. ( )
  cry6379 | Sep 17, 2017 |
''A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius'' is a book of finite jest, which is why it succeeds so brilliantly. Eggers's most powerful prose is often his most straightforward, relying on old-fashioned truth telling for its punch.

Dave Eggers's new book, ''A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius,'' is part autobiography, part postmodern collage, a novelistic ''memoir-y kind of thing'' that tells the sad, awful, tragic story of how the author's mother and father died within weeks of each other and how he became a surrogate parent to his 8-year-old brother, and tells it with such style and hyperventilated, self-conscious energy, such coy, Lettermanesque shtick and such genuine, heartfelt emotion, that the story is at once funny, tender, annoying and, yes, heartbreaking -- an epic, in the end, not of woe, though there's plenty of that too, but an epic about family and how families fracture and fragment and somehow, through all the tumult and upset, manage to endure.

Though the book is marred by its ending--an unsuccessful parody of teenage rage against the cruel world--it will still delight admirers of structural experimentation and Gen-Xers alike.
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly

Eggers delivers a worthwhile story told in perfect pitch to the material.
added by Shortride | editLibrary Journal, Eric Bryant

Eggers' seemingly flippant, but piercingly observant style, allows hilarity to lead the way in a very personal and revealing recounting of the loss of his parents.
added by Shortride | editBooklist, Grace Fill

Dave Eggersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Graham, DionNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pardoen, IrvingTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
First of all: I am tired. I am true of heart! And also: You are tired. You are true of heart!
Change and contentment via together-rising boats; The reckless encouragement of blue sky research; A mountain for every little person; A flood for New York.
Through the small tall bathroom window the December yard is gray and scratchy, the trees calligraphic.
We feel that to reveal embarrassing or private things, we have given someone something, that, like a primitive person fearing that a photograph will steal his soul, we identify our secrets, our past and their blotches, with our identity, that revealing habits or losses or deeds somehow makes one less of oneself.
Please distinguish this Dave Egger's orignal published Work, A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius (2000), from its later reprint, A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius and Mistakes We Knew We Were Making (2001). As the Work titles suggest, the reprint includes an additional piece, "Mistakes We Knew We Were Making," that's not included in the original publication.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,528,059 books! | Top bar: Always visible