Imperial Earth by Arthur C. Clarke

Imperial Earth

by Arthur C. Clarke

In the year 2276, Duncan Makenzie travels from Saturn's moon, Titan, to Earth as a diplomatic envoy to the United States. As a member of Titan's 'First Family' descended from the moon's original settlers 500 years before, Duncan finds himself welcomed into the glittering political and social scene in Washington.But Duncan isn't just on Earth for a diplomatic visit. Haunted by the memory of a woman from Earth he once loved, Duncan is also driven by the need to continue the family line—despite a devastating genetic defect. A tour-de-force of vivid characterization, futuristic vision, and suspense, Imperial Earth is one of Arthur C. Clarke's most ambitious novels.… (more)

English (17)  Danish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (20)
"It had taken the human race several thousand years to realize there were some jobs that should never be given to the people who volunteered for them, especially if they showed too much enthusiasm. As one shrewd political commentator had remarked: 'We want a President who has to be carried kicking and screaming into the White House -- but will then do the best job he possibly can, so that he'll get time off for good behavior.'" ( )
1 vote Jon_Hansen | Sep 16, 2019 |
Duncan Makenzie, invited to speak at the 500th anniversary of the American Revolution as a representative of Saturn's moon, Titan, has a problem. 70 years earlier, his "grandfather", Malcolm, was the leader of colonists on Titan, but also had a problem. Malcolm's problem was that he had acquired a genetic defect that made it impossible for him to father children. Wanting to retain the family name, Malcolm went to Earth and had a clone made. This clone was Duncan's "father", Colin, who in turn had a clone made who was Duncan. Now it was Duncan's turn to get a clone made, and it had to be done now, otherwise the elevated gravity on Earth would have a made trip impossible. Duncan's problems would only get worse, though, as it turned out his best friend, Karl, was doing things he should not have been. Dealing with Karl's extracurricular activities would shape the rest of Duncan's life.

I think I've begun to see some of Clarke's patterns. He will often (when writing in the future) describe a list of things. Two or three of those things are well known to us now. The final item in the list is always something that happened in characters' past, but our future. Additionally, Clarke loves to leave a book with hints of future wonders of engineering yet to be built. I've also noticed that for some odd reason, many of Clarke's references to past arts, events, or ideas are 20th century ideas. Once in awhile, these common patterns are interesting - after reading several Clarke books in a row, they start to get repetitive.

In the end, the core of the plot was not all that interesting. The final engineering project was not as compelling as some of Clarke's other man-made wonders. The final surprise reveal was not completely explained - I actually figure out what it meant only by reading some other comments on LibraryThing. The heavy comparisons between Titan and the Titanic were cumbersome and not quite as informative as I would have hoped. ( )
  helver | Sep 1, 2017 |
Duncan Makenzie, ruler of the world of Titan, returns to Earth to create a successor by cloning. ( )
  gypsysmom | Aug 16, 2017 |
This book took forever to get through. It's not complex. It's not too long. It was just not engaging.

Dated...I was a tad disappointed in Clarke for that. I'm not keen on authors using contemporary terms, mores, etc. when writing a future history novel. Three hundred years is a lot of time for change and I would expect Clarke to know better than to use geopolitical names and overly specific limits on technology, and yet here he did. And I thought one part rather cute (this was written in 1974-1975): No one would ever know how many immature young minds had been ruined by them. "Brain burning had been a disease of the sixties [e.g. 2260s], until the epidemic had run its course[...]
As I said, dated. Not bad, but a forerunner of his later Rama writings. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
I did not realize this was the second time I'd read this book. It's hard sci-fi with heart. Not especially action packed. Lends new meaning to the word expat. A young man from Titan makes a rare (and very expensive) trip back to the home planet as an emissary in 2276. This is Clarke making his case for continued space exploration. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |

Ferrer Aleu, J.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kraak, YvonneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saenz, JoséTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schlück, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Remember them as they were; and write them off." Ernest Hemingway
"For every man has business and desire." Hamlet, Act 1, Scene 4
For a lost friend
Duncan Makenzie was ten years old when he found the magic number.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,404,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible