The Legend of the Bluebonnet (1983)

by Tomie DePaola

A retelling of the Comanche Indian legend of how a little girl's sacrifice brought the flower called bluebonnet to Texas.
    The Rough-Face Girl by Rafe Martin (goodiegoodie)
    Lila and the secret of the rain by David Conway (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Similar storyline: drought, little girl communicates with spirits/nature to bring rain
    Jamaica's Find by Juanita Havill (madu)
    madu: Both of these are stories about children sacrificing a cherished toy for the sake of others.

This was the first book I can remember reading by myself. Even though I havent touched it in decades, I still remember it vividly ( )
  Chinesa72 | Jul 28, 2021 |
This book has always been one of my favorite children's books. I love the storyline, the emphasis on personal sacrifice. and the beautiful illustrations. In the classroom this book could be used to teach the importance of language, customs, traditions, and how those themes can be woven into literature. ( )
  Leighann-Rathe | Feb 8, 2021 |
NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
The Legend of the Bluebonnet is a staple book in Texas elementary schools as well as being an award-winning children's book. It's beautifully written and illustrated by Tomie dePaola that I remember reading this in elementary many many moons ago! Like many beginnings in our country, it all began with a Native American tribe, the Comanches, going through a horrible famine and drought when one of the children gives up her favorite doll as a sacrifice to stop these events. The next day the fields are filled with beautiful flowers and the hunting game has come back, because of these events the young girl gets a new name, instead of She Who Is Alone it changes to She Who Loves Her People. This is a wonderful book for an elementary social studies class learning about Tecas History. ( )
  Ariel_Amador | Nov 18, 2020 |
This book is based on a Native American legend. A young girl, She Who Is Alone, makes a sacrifice of her most prized doll in order to stop the drought and famine that was destroying her community. The next day, beautiful flowers bloomed all along the land. She earns a new name that day, She Who Dearly Loves Her People.
I had never heard the original, but I believe this book does it justice. I also thought it was interesting that this story originated in what is now Texas. ( )
  ebrossette | May 6, 2020 |
For Margaret Looper who introduced me to the tale.
Great Spirits, the land is dying.

this is neat book about an Indian girl and the legend of the blue bonnet. She gives a sacrifice to make the drought of her land go away and it comes back as a field full of blue wildflowers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,246,317 books! | Top bar: Always visible