Heartsong (2019)

by TJ Klune

Series: Green Creek (3)

All Robbie Fontaine ever wanted was a place to belong. After the death of his mother, he bounces around from pack to pack, forming temporary bonds to keep from turning feral. It's enough-until he receives a summons from the wolf stronghold in Caswell, Maine.Life as the trusted second to Michelle Hughes-the Alpha of all-and the cherished friend of a gentle old witch teaches Robbie what it means to be pack, to have a home.But when a mission from Michelle sends Robbie into the field, he finds himself questioning where he belongs and everything he's been told. Whispers of traitorous wolves and wild magic abound-but who are the traitors and who the betrayed?More than anything, Robbie hungers for answers, because one of those alleged traitors is Kelly Bennett-the wolf who may be his mate.The truth has a way of coming out. And when it does, everything will shatter.Contains mature themes.… (more)

The third book in the Green Creek series, this one focuses on the relationship between Robbie and Kelly. I can't say much more without spoilers for the first two books, so I'll just leave it at that. I will say, though, that by this third book Klune seems to have economized his writing style so most of the repetitive language is gone. The characters and their relationships are so well done in this series and the story is great, too. I'm so glad I stuck with it through the first two books, and I'm eager to get to the fourth one. ( )
  scaifea | Feb 12, 2022 |
This was brilliant. As for the plot, I liked this book the best in the series. The romance was secondary here, which I didn't mind much, but I understand why many readers would feel cheated. Everything else was so good, that I cared little about Robbie and Kelly's relationship. It was a nice addition, and I wouldn't have minded more of them together, but... *shrugs*I would actually categorize this as second chance romance.

As with all the books in the series, this one too focuses on the bonds. Family (blood or no blood), friends and mates. The connections.

I got bombs dropped on me left and right (even though I had suspicions). Many twists and turns. The suspense and the tension was killing me. It was exciting.

The final battle didn't go down how I hoped it would. Well, I'm not talking about the whole battle, just one tiny aspect of it. And that's my only regret. It felt cliché and almost comical to me. It's not a huge thing, but not a minor one either, since it sets up the premise for the last book.

I didn't want to read this book so desperately, because I was indifferent towards Robbie. But he settled himself in my heart now. He might be my favorite now, depends on what happens with Carter in Brothersong. He's such a Mama's boy.

So despite that minor thing, this was a huge win.
And it's still weird that everyone is nekkid all the time. ;D ( )
  Gabi90 | Apr 18, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

Yes, I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve. But I am the opposite of a stage magician. He gives you illusion that has the appearance of truth. I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion. - Tennessee Williams, The Glass Menagerie
For those who are trying to find their way home.
When I dreamed, these pinpricks of light filtered through the trees of an old forest.

All Robbie Fontaine ever wanted was a place to belong. After the death of his mother, he bounces around from pack to pack, forming temporary bonds to keep from turning feral. It’s enough—until he receives a summons from the wolf stronghold in Caswell, Maine.

Life as the trusted second to Michelle Hughes—the Alpha of all—and the cherished friend of a gentle old witch teaches Robbie what it means to be pack, to have a home.

But when a mission from Michelle sends Robbie into the field, he finds himself questioning where he belongs and everything he’s been told. Whispers of traitorous wolves and wild magic abound—but who are the traitors and who the betrayed?

More than anything, Robbie hungers for answers, because one of those alleged traitors is Kelly Bennett—the wolf who may be his mate.

The truth has a way of coming out. And when it does, everything will shatter.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,899,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible