Ho'onani: Hula Warrior by Heather Gale

Ho'onani: Hula Warrior

by Heather Gale

621,894,172 (4.25)None
Based on a true story, Ho'onani: Hula Warrior is a celebration of Hawaiian culture and an empowering story of a girl who learns to lead and learns to accept who she really is - and in doing so, gains the respect of all those around her.

In Hawaiian culture you can be feminine, masculine, or both. This story is about Ho’onani who finds her place in the middle as a Hula Warrior. This story is based on true events that can be seen in the documentary A Place in the Middle. This is a nice true life tale of someone finding themselves, a school’s acceptance, and a look at the family involved. ( )
  LibrarianRyan | Jul 30, 2019 |
I love this! The art is beautiful, which is very important to me. The story is exciting, with a great message on two levels: a broadly applicable message of "you can achieve your dreams" as well as the specific message of accepting people for who they are.

The only thing I would want differently is a pronunciation guide to the Hawaiian words so I don't mispronounce them trying to read this out loud to my daughter.

I received this book free via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  g33kgrrl | Jul 9, 2019 |
Hoʻonani’s courage to be true to herself and her place in the middle is empowering. Hawaiian words are intermixed, and Song’s illustrations are full of emotion and determination.
added by g33kgrrl | editKirkus Reviews (Jun 10, 2019)

To my mom, who taught us to love people for who they are - HG
To Small Grandma, who always cooked dinner - MS
Ho'onani Kamai did not see herself as a wahine, "girl."

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Heather Gale's book Ho'onani: Hula Warrior is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,839,399 books! | Top bar: Always visible