Beach Music by Pat Conroy

Beach Music

by Pat Conroy

Outer Banks by Anne Rivers Siddons (KimSmyth)
    KimSmyth: Same general feel to both books

English (49)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (52)
I know I'm going against the grain with this review, but I cannot stand Pat Conroy and the only reason I read this book is because it was a selection for my book group. This is the third book by Conroy that I have read & to me he writes the same book over and over again, mining the various dysfunctions of his own family. This book is no exception. You have insanity, alcoholism, brutal fathers,largely absent mothers and suicide. All of this is narrated by a character (largely Conroy's alter ego) whose main driving force seems to be to meet every problem in life with violent, and then talk about it in the most bloated, self-serving, bloated prose possible. Thankfully, this is the last book by this author that I will ever read. ( )
  etxgardener | Jun 11, 2018 |
A Beautiful novel! ( )
  Mitchell_Bergeson_Jr | Aug 6, 2017 |
I was disappointed in this book. It was simply a re-write of Prince of Tides but not as good. A pale intimation. ( )
  ramon4 | Nov 11, 2016 |
Amazing. I'll read a book by this man printed on used toilet paper. ( )
  Laura_Drake | Aug 19, 2016 |
quirky set of friends in Southern town
Jack McCall, widower daughter living in Rome — searches his haunting past
alcoholism, depression, etc.
  christinejoseph | Jul 15, 2016 |
This book is dedicated to my three brothers: Michael Joseph, James Patrick, And Timothy John - loyalists and life-sharers. And to Thomas Patrick; our hurt brother and lost boy, who took his own life on August 31, 1994.

In 1980, a year after my wife leapt to her death from the Silas Pearlman Bridge in Charleston, South Carolina, I moved to Italy to begin life anew, taking our small daughter with me.

Son returns 'home' to the South from Italy. His mother is dying of leukemia, his dad's a drunk and his in-laws have tried to wrest custody of his child when his wife committed suicide years before. An amazing tale of the ability of the human heart to find forgiveness against all odds. Loved all the plots, the reunions, the HUMOR. Conroy's so funny in a wry and lawyerlike little way!!!!! Loved this. One of my top books, one of the most gifted writers of my generation.

PAT CONROY, America’s preeminent storyteller, delivers a sweeping novel of lyric intensity and searing truth–the story of Jack McCall, an American expatriate in Rome, scarred by tragedy and betrayal. His desperate desire to find peace after his wife’s suicide draws him into a painful, intimate search for the one haunting secret in his family’s past that can heal his anguished heart.

Spanning three generations and two continents, from the contemporary ruins of the American South to the ancient ruins of Rome, from the unutterable horrors of the Holocaust to the lingering trauma of Vietnam, Beach Music sings with life’s pain and glory. It is another masterpiece in PAT CONROY’S legendary list of beloved novels.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:32 -0400)

The story of Jack McCall, an American expatriate in Rome, who has been scarred by tragedy and betrayal. His desperate desire to find peace after his wife's suicide draws him into a painful, intimate search for the one haunting secret in his family's past that can heal his anguished heart. Spanning three generations and two continents, from the contemporary ruins of the American South to the ancient ruins of Rome, from the unutterable horrors of the Holocaust to the lingering trauma of Vietnam, Beach Music sings with life's pain and glory.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,060,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible