Free Food for Millionaires (2007)

by Min Jin Lee

"Goodbye, Columbus meets the novels of Amy Tan in this American story of class, society and identity that marks the debut of a new voice in fiction"--Provided by the publisher.

Lee just has a way of getting you so emotionally invested in her characters that it's hard to let go even weeks or months later. I read Pachinko first, which I loved, so I was hoping to expect the same in this. It was different, not as powerful, but still very engaging. Took me some time to get into it, but by the end, I couldn't put the book down. ( )
  Joannerdrgs | Sep 22, 2022 |
I really didn't want this 600 page book to end. I need a sequel! ( )
  SarahMac314 | Aug 12, 2022 |
did not finish ( )
  suedutton | Jun 2, 2022 |
Mildly entertaining. Huge book. Surprised I finished it. Picked it up @ thrift store for #1.
A little insight into Korean culture. Lots of Catholic references. Some sexual stuff, language. Ket my interest just enough but took me about 2 months to read. ( )
  avdesertgirl | Aug 22, 2021 |
I thoroughly enjoyed Free Food For Millionaires. It does not have the sweep of Lee’s later novel Pachinko, but it is highly entertaining. I enjoyed the bloody minded heroine, Casey Han. The novel has a lot of plot and some extravagant scenes. It is a testimony to Min Jin Lee's skill that she can write so convincingly about the worlds of NY finance, millinery, in addition to the multiple worlds of Korean Americans. ( )
  jdukuray | Jun 23, 2021 |
Our crowns have been bought and paid for-all we have to do is wear them.

-James Baldwin
For Umma, Apha, Myung, and Sang.
Competence can be a curse.

"Competence can be a curse."

So begins Min Jin Lee's epic novel about class, society, and identity. Casey Han's four years at Princeton have given her many things-"a refined diction, an enviable golf handicap, a popular white boyfriend, an agnostic's closeted passion for reading the Bible, and a magna cum laude degree in economics, but no job and a number of bad habits.

Casey's parents, who live in Queens, are Korean immigrants working at a dry cleaner, desperately trying to hold on to their culture and identity. Their daughter, on the other hand,m has entered into the upper echelon of rarefied American society via scholarships. But after graduation, while Casey's trust-fund friends see only opportunity and choices, Casey sees the reality of having expensive habits without the means to sustain them. As Casey navigates Manhattan, we see her life and the lives of those around her-her sheltered mother and scarred father, her friend Ella's ambitious Korean husband and his Causcasian mistress, Casey's white fiance, and then her Korean boyfriend-culminate in a portrait of NYC and its worlds of haves and have nots.

Hachette Book Group

An edition of this book was published by Hachette Book Group.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,854,123 books! | Top bar: Always visible