Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Moonflower Murders (2020)

by Anthony Horowitz

Series: Susan Ryeland (2)

Horowitz's storytelling in this sort-of standalone (following characters Susan Ryeland from The Magpie Murders) is complex, chock full of red herrings, and the actual clues are buried so deep it borders on cheating! The story is also populated with loads of unappealing characters. ( )
  bookappeal | Sep 18, 2021 |
This is the sequel to the Magpie Murders. Again it has a book within a book with two murder mysteries to solve. I totally guessed wrong on the book within the book, but had a pretty good idea who the killer was in the main story. I totally missed why the person did it though. Another fun read for mystery fans! ( )
  JJbooklvr | Sep 18, 2021 |
Eight years previously at their daughter Cecily Treharnes wedding, Frank Parris, 53, was murdered. Maintenance man Stefan Codrescu, 22, was arrested and imprisoned for the murder. Having recently read Alan Conway's book entitled 'Atticus Pund Takes the Case' which is set in the 1950s and based on the case, Cecily states she knows who the murderer is, but she promptly disappears. Parents Lawrence and Pauline Trehearne of Branlow Hall ask amateur detective Susan Ryeland to investigate, as she was the previous editor of Conway's books and might understand the clues.
An interesting and entertaining well-written mystery with a cast of varied characters.
An ARC was provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Vesper1931 | Jul 29, 2021 |
A pretty good novel within a novel, interwoven storyline and intertwined characters and stories.

I did appreciate the author’s efforts in crafting this story/stories. ( )
  geoff79 | Jul 11, 2021 |
I really enjoyed this mystery. It was cleverly written and even though another, completely different book, was inserted into the middle of it, I didn't manage to lose track of the story as I had expected I would. I picked this up from my local library by happenstance without realizing it was the 2nd book in a series. References to the first book were made throughout but it didn't affect this one. This is exactly the type of mystery I enjoy. I will read the first book for sure. ( )
  Sensory | Jun 29, 2021 |

Anthony Horowitzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Corduner, AllanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manville, LesleyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For Eric Hamlish and Jan Salindar – with thanks for so many good times
The Polydorus is a charming family-run hotel, located a short walk away from the lively town of Agios Nikolaos, one hour from Heraklion. Rooms cleaned daily, all with Wi-Fi and air con, some with sea views.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,338,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible