The Confessor (2003)

by Daniel Silva

Series: Gabriel Allon (3)

A Latin-speaking thief of research sets Israeli agent Gabriel Allon on the trail of buried secrets.
Recently added byhackrdog, dbcummin, nijada, private library, dmspdlf, kamintra, jsyamasaki

Best one I've read yet.
These just keep getting better and better. ( )
  Rockhead515 | Jan 11, 2022 |
Daniel Silva is such a good writer, but unfortunately I have read "this story" at least a half dozen times before. If you are into the Vatican and the politics and power plays involving the Catholic Church over the centuries, and in particular its history during WWII and their relations with the Jews and the Nazis then you should enjoy this book. I, however, didn’t care for it so much. Oh, and did I mention the secret society? (Yes, another one!)

Overall I thought the plot was on the weak side. The book started off really slow because Silva had to set up the story with the Vatican and the ensuing intrigue and it never really took off. Parts are great, but then it would drag again as the pieces and characters slowly worked their way to a conclusion.

What I enjoy most about all the Gabriel Allon novels is the art and restoration, and the Israeli intelligence operations as well as the personnel involved. All of that shines in this book as it does in the others. What I didn’t like was the stereotypical secret society stuff, and the real power brokers, and how good versus evil plays out.

Anyway, that said, I don’t rarely get to read a series of novels in order so I can see how many of the elements I did not like were necessary for his later books, the introduction of the characters and such. And there were two or three really good surprises that I did not see coming so for that I bump it up a half star from average to just above average. ( )
  Picathartes | Jul 22, 2021 |
Gabriel Allon as Mario Delvecchio, an art restorer, is in Venice to restore Bellini's alterpiece when Benjamin Stern, a history professor, is killed in Munich due to the subject matter of the book he is writing. Gabriel Allon is asked to investigate the killing by Ari Shamron, posing as Benjamin's brother. Some powerful people in the Vatican are working to restore the Catholic Church to what it was during the Middle Ages and want to thwart the new Pope's desire to throw the Vatican's secret archives open, particularly with regard to Pope Pius XII policies on the Holocaust. ( )
  baughga | Jun 1, 2021 |
The Confessor by Daniel Silva is the third installment in the fictional adventures of the reluctant Israeli agent Gabriel Allon. Working as art restorer Mario Delvecchio, Allon is called one more time into service to investigate the mysterious murder of his friend Benjamin Stern. As the investigation progresses, Allon discovers that Stern has been working on a book, that once published would cause a scandal in the Vatican and do great harm to the Roman Catholic Church.

At the Vatican, the new pope vows to uncover the truth about the church's response to the Holocaust. Powerful forces, especially the secret society known as the Crux Vera, within the Roman Catholic Church are not happy about the Pope’s initiative and are willing to go to great extremes in order to stop it. Gabriel is pulled into the internal struggle through his investigation which takes him around Europe, discovering the hidden secrets of the past.

This novel is also thought provoking. What was the church’s role during the Holocaust? The story and characters are gripping and I was drawn in from the beginning chapter. The author is very accomplished in presenting his story in an interesting and tightly wrapped manner. I consider the Gabriel Allon series to be one of my very favorite and one I consistently preorder because they just keep getting better and better. I've read the entire series but am currently listening to them in audio, impeccably narrated by John Lee. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jul 2, 2020 |
An artwork restorer is called back to his “real job”: to hunt down the killer of his Jewish friend, who was writing a book to expose the Catholic church’s conduct during WWII. With the help of allies of both religions, he must evade killers who want the church’s secret to stay secret. Non-stop action with brilliant twists, this is an excellent thriller. Kudos to the narrator, who deftly handled various accents. ( )
  KarenMonsen | May 23, 2020 |
"roma locuta est: causa finita est."
Rome has spoken; the case is closed.
-- ST. AUGUSTINE OF HIPPO
For David Bull, il restauratore,
and as always,
for my wife Jamie and
my children Lily and Nicolas
The apartment house at Adalbertstrasse 68 was one of the few in the fashionable district of Schwabing yet to be overrun by Munich's noisy and growing professional elite.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,189,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible