All Things Wise and Wonderful (1976)

by James Herriot

In the midst of World War II, the Yorkshire veterinarian muses on past adventures through the Yorkshire dales, visiting with old friends and introducing scores of new characters--both human and animal.

English (22)  Italian (2)  German (1)  All languages (25)
What can I say about this wonderful book that has not already been said?

A truly unique and fulfilling reading experience, I recommend this book to anybody who has had a bad day, is tired, depressed, angry, generally feeling out of things. The stories are like therapy. I have rarely rad anything where the warm affection, the kindness and the love are so tangible. ( )
  Andorion | Feb 6, 2021 |
Although ALL THINGS WISE AND WONDERFUL has been out since the 1970s and although this book is the third in a series, it is the first of James Harriot‘s books that I’ve read. I loved it and wonder what took me so long.

Most of us know of Harriot's books even if we haven’t read them. They’re classics. He was a country veterinarian in England, and his books are stories of, mostly, his work with the various animals. Plus he also throws in some people stories here and there. In ALL THINGS WISE AND WONDERFUL, while he is training to be a pilot in the Royal Air Force, he remembers his time as a veterinarian during the 1930s.

While many readers like myself are easily bored by books of stories, this one is absorbing. Harriot‘s books were best sellers, and people all over the world love him. Now I do, too. I only wish he were still alive so I could tell him. ( )
  techeditor | Sep 22, 2020 |
I have read this so many times and it never gets old. So many parts make me laugh out loud with hilarious situations and often with their acute observations of Yorkshire farmers. I also spend a fair amount of time wiping away tears of emotion. I grew up in the Yorkshire Dales but now live in Canada. Because of social distancing, I wonder when my next trip will be. ( )
  harrietgate | May 7, 2020 |
Readers adored James Herriot's tales of his life as a Yorkshire animal doctor in All Creatures Great and Small and All Things Bright and Beautiful. Now here's a third delightful volume of memoirs rich with Herriot's own brand of humor, insight, and wisdom.
In the midst of World War II, James is training for the Royal Air Force, while going home to Yorkshire whenever possible to see his very pregnant wife, Helen. Musing on past adventures through the dales, visiting with old friends, and introducing scores of new and amusing character--animal and human alike--Herriot enthralls with his uncanny ability to spin a most engaging and heartfelt yarn. ( )
  LynneQuan | Sep 29, 2017 |
These four books were the first I read from the adult section of the tiny town library I grew up with. Still remember them fondly - still don't want to be involved in animal husbandry or to have a pet. That universality of appeal is a large part of their genius. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful,
The Lord God made them all.

Cecil Frances Alexander 1818-1895
To my dogs, Hector and Dan. Faithful companions of the daily round.
'Move!' bawled the drill corporal. 'Come on, speed it up!' He sprinted effortlessly to the rear of the gasping, panting column of men and urged us on from there.

Vets Might Fly & Vet in a Spin

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,909,835 books! | Top bar: Always visible