Migrations (2020)

by Charlotte McConaghy

A dark past. An impossible journey. The will to survive. How far you would you go for love? Franny Stone is determined to go to the end of the earth, following the last of the Arctic terns on what may be their final migration to Antarctica. As animal populations plummet and commercial fishing faces prohibition, Franny talks her way onto one of the few remaining boats heading south. But as she and the eccentric crew travel further from shore and safety, the dark secrets of Franny's life begin to unspool. A daughter's yearning search for her mother. An impulsive, passionate marriage. A shocking crime. Haunted by love and violence, Franny must confront what she is really running towards - and from.… (more)

English (55)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (57)
Franny Stone finds a magically bitter release for herself and the terns she has followed to the ends of their ever changed earth. Here they have both found love, loss, and the comforting rhythm of an ongoing Migration. ( )
  WiserWisegirl | Dec 2, 2022 |
  WiserWisegirl | Dec 2, 2022 |
This was a great book to wrap my reading year up with! So well written and hard hitting, specifically when discussing the mass extinction that is currently going on, but in the setting of the not so distant future.

I'm usually not a fan of jumpy timelines, but in this book I came around to it, a little. The main character isn't necessarily likeable, nor is she very reliable as a narrator, but I grew to like her as well, by the end. The translation had some clumsiness around the dialogue, but I'm willing to blame it on being a translation and as such, not very organic.

I'm not going to say much about the plot, other than that I ended up liking it. I mostly felt for the animals, but in the end I was crying my eyes out for the characters as well.

I won't say this was a perfect book, but I'd still rate it in my top ten for the year! ( )
  tuusannuuska | Dec 1, 2022 |
An emotionally powerful book, but definitely not one to read if you are feeling down. Advanced warning, those of a sensitive nature should have a pile of handkerchiefs close by, you will cry over this book.

The book is set against the backdrop of mass extinctions, the world has warmed too much and species after species are dying out. Only a few hang on, largely those which humanity has deemed important for our own survival and a few hardy souls, amongst which is the Arctic Tern, the true hero of this story.

Our protagonist Franny is a wanderer, in her soul the wild calls to her, not with the intoxication of a siren but the inexorable pull of the full fury of nature. The story follows her quest to track possibly the last migration of the Tern south. She is not some evangelising activist, instead it is a love of nature and a deep sadness at what is happening that drives her on. It was the twist in her being though that drew me to her and kept me reading through the tears. She flips between courage and fear, loneliness and belonging, light and dark.

Although on the surface the book might be a doomsday warning of what we might all be facing, for me the biggest message was about acceptance of who we truly are and living accordingly.

Yes this book is poignant and depressing, but just as in the story of Pandora's box, in the darkest recesses when you think it is all lost there is still HOPE. ( )
  restimson | Sep 6, 2022 |
I thought this book was very good both in its strong environmental theme and its character development and plot line. I am surprised it hasn't won an award in Australia. I see it was shortlisted for the Queensland Literary Award. ( )
  HelenBaker | Jul 22, 2022 |
Young adult novelist McConaghy (the Chronicles of Kaya series) makes her adult debut with the clunky chronicle of Franny Stone, a troubled woman who follows a flock of endangered Arctic terns on what is believed to be their final migration home. While McConaghy’s plot is engaging, her writing can be a heavy-handed distraction (“out flies my soul, sucked through my pores”). Lovers of ornithology and intense drama will find what they need in this uneven tale.
added by VivienneR | editPublisher's Weekly (Jun 15, 2020)

Charlotte McConaghyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Erik de VriesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kreinik, BarrieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.
-Rumi
For Morgan
The animals are dying.
“…it’s a romantic idea to follow birds, but life at sea is harder than that, and I got mouths to feed.” 2nd chapter
Mam used to tell me to look for the clues. “The clues to what?” I asked the first time. “To life. They’re hidden everywhere.” 2nd chapter

For readers of Station Eleven and Everything I Never Told You, a debut novel set on the brink of catastrophe, as a young woman chases the world’s last birds – and her own final chance for redemption.

A dark past. An impossible journey. The will to survive.

As animal populations plummet and commercial fishing faces prohibition, Franny talks her way onto one of the few remaining boats heading south. But as she and the eccentric crew travel further from shore and safety, the dark secrets of Franny’s life begin to unspool. A daughter’s yearning search for her mother. An impulsive, passionate marriage. A shocking crime. Haunted by love and violence, Franny must confront what she is really running towards – and from.

Previously published as The Last Migration, this is a wild, gripping and deeply moving novel from a brilliant young writer. From the west coast of Ireland to Australia and remote Greenland, through crashing Atlantic swells to the bottom of the world, this is an ode to the wild places and creatures now threatened, and an epic story of the possibility of hope against all odds.

‘Transporting’ (New York Times) · ‘Hopeful’ (Washington Post) · ‘Powerful’ (Los Angeles Times) · ‘Thrilling’ (TIME) · ‘Tantalizingly beautiful’ (Elle) · ‘Suspenseful’ (Vogue) · ‘Aching and poignant’ (Guardian)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,117,493 books! | Top bar: Always visible