Migrations (2020)

by Charlotte McConaghy

English (34)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (36)
Loved so much about this book but struggled with some of the pessimistic anti-human elements in it. ( )
  jcoleman3307 | Oct 7, 2021 |
Franny Stone cares deeply about conservation and the state of our planet, and wrangles her way onto a fishing vessel as a means of studying the arctic tern’s migration path. But what appears to be a scientific endeavor soon shows signs of something very different. Franny’s internal monologue hints at tragedy in her past, which is gradually revealed through flashback segments set at specific points in her life. These puzzle pieces slowly come together, revealing a woman damaged by multiple traumas, but Franny’s behavior repeatedly keeps one crucial piece just beyond our grasp. The long-awaited reveal brought an entirely new perspective to Franny’s sea journey and the subsequent epilogue was quite moving.

The beauty of this novel is in the trail of breadcrumbs dropped in the flashbacks, coupled with Franny’s unreliable narration. I was quickly hooked, and even though I questioned a couple of plot elements that seemed a bit forced, I couldn’t put this book down. ( )
  lauralkeet | Aug 31, 2021 |
It was hard for me to understand Franny. The author tells us about her past not chronologically. So we can see just little pieces of her life which became the whole only by the end. And the constant longing for wanders which is Franny's main feature isn't something familiar for me. Because of that, her behavior irritated me sometimes. But at the same time, I felt sympathy for her because of her sufferings. ( )
  Diana_Hryniuk | Aug 28, 2021 |
Possibly the best book I've read this year! This and McConaghy's most recent book, Once There Were Wolves both blew me away. ( )
  viviennestrauss | Aug 27, 2021 |
Set in the very near future where the climate has been decimated resulting in the gradual loss of most animals and birds, main character Franny Stone Lynch will remain with me for a long time. She is trying to follow the last of the Arctic Terns on what may well be their final journey. Absolutely beautiful in both the writing and the depiction of what our world may evolve into. Franny's personal story is breathtaking and her journey haunting. Could this be my book of the year? I thought I'd already read it (Driftless comes to mind) but who knows. This one was certainly wonderful. ( )
  brenzi | Aug 23, 2021 |
Young adult novelist McConaghy (the Chronicles of Kaya series) makes her adult debut with the clunky chronicle of Franny Stone, a troubled woman who follows a flock of endangered Arctic terns on what is believed to be their final migration home. While McConaghy’s plot is engaging, her writing can be a heavy-handed distraction (“out flies my soul, sucked through my pores”). Lovers of ornithology and intense drama will find what they need in this uneven tale.
added by VivienneR | editPublisher's Weekly (Jun 15, 2020)

Charlotte McConaghyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kreinik, BarrieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.
-Rumi
For Morgan
The animals are dying.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,187,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible