Monogamy (2020)

by Sue Miller

I generally like Sue Miller's books, but this one was harder to get through. In the beginning I got sick of all the sex talk. Later I appreciated the intricate character descriptions and the psychological content. Sometimes it was a long winded and whiny. I give it three start because most of the time I enjoyed reading it. ( )
  Marietje.Halbertsma | Jan 9, 2022 |
Graham and Annie have been married for 30 years and to all appearances have the perfect marriage. But as any married person can tell you, appearances are not always what they seem. Sue Miller explores the ups and downs of this marriage, exposing all of its cracks, but also its strengths and joys. ( )
  etxgardener | Aug 2, 2021 |
This is an introspective study of the marriage of Graham and Annie. Graham dies unexpectedly, and as Annie moves through the grieving process, she discovers some surprising things that she has a hard time handling. The same thing happened to me after I lost my husband very suddenly, so I could relate to this story. However, it may not appeal to many readers. ( )
  flourgirl49 | Jul 10, 2021 |
I think there's an audience for this book but it is definitely not me. The author reads her own audiobook and does an excellent job so there's points for that but I got over halfway in and I was like, there is not one person in this thing that I like or care about what happens to them. So I'm out. Dnf. ( )
  Tosta | Jul 5, 2021 |
This is a character driven exploration of the marriage between Annie and Graham (Hmm...is that a pun for anagram?) and the extended family that surrounds their marriage. Early in the story, Graham is troubled by an inexplicable infidelity that arose out of an insensitive joke. Annie is not aware of this, but Graham has confided in his ex-wife, Freida, and his long time friend, John. After breaking of his extramarital relationship, Graham dies in his sleep.

The rest of the novel explores Annie's grief, her relationship with her daughter, Sarah, and stepson, Lucas, and her long term friendship with Grahams ex, Freida. Graham's outsized personality overshadowed all of those relationships and Annie must navigate them in her new reality.

At the house party after Graham's memorial service, Annie becomes aware of the infidelity based on the grieving behavior of the other woman. At this point she begins to question everything about her marriage. Her musings, and her relationships with Freida and the adult children, lead the reader to think through what it means to be monogamous and the various forms that infidelity can take within that relationship. Ultimately, Annie works through her grief and anger and establishes a life built on her own terms.

This book might not be for everyone, but I found it interesting to reflect upon as I read it and gave it 4 stars. ( )
  tangledthread | Jul 4, 2021 |
For Doug,
mainstay
Annie had been single for seven years when she met Graham.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,012,695 books! | Top bar: Always visible