The Holy Bible: New Revised Standard Version with Apocrypha (1989)

by Bruce M. Metzger

The New Revised Standard Version is the most accurate and accessible Bible translation available today, and has been accepted by almost all major US denominations. Prepared by a multidenominational committee of scholars who based their translation on the original Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaictexts, the NRSV is also the most sensitive text on the topic of inclusive language. It includes the most complete collection of the Apocrypha/Deuterocanonical books. A 96-page, select NRSV Concordance enhances the Text Edition's usefulness.… (more)
    Holy Bible - Evangelical Heritage Version (EHV) by Wartburg Project (divinepeacelutheran)
    divinepeacelutheran: My go-to version of the Bible. No additions or deletions. Easy to read.

*** top shelf
  dianahughes07 | Jul 30, 2018 |
Clear concise language that seems somewhat more faithful and less subjective and flowery than other versions. ( )
  benuathanasia | Jan 3, 2015 |
The NRSV has consistently struck me as a poor comedown from the RSV. I am not able to do a full assessment of the OT portions -- my Hebrew is minimal -- but I have a good grasp of classical / koine Greek and am continually irritated by the way in which the NRSV slides, by choice of words, from translation to paraphrase; in some cases misleading paraphrase.

To take a random example: in the Gospel of John, the chief priests' reply to Pilate's "Behold your king" is not "We have no king but Caesar"; instead, it is "We have no king but the emperor". Aside from the fact that the Greek actually says "Kaisara". in the third decade of the first century, under Tiberias, "Caesar" was still a family name and not a title: the new translation gets the implication wrong: not a reference to the person currently holding an office but to a person of a given name.

The text does represent, by and large, the current established Nestle-Aland NT text and the current up-to-date text of the OT and Deuterocanonical books. However, its failures as a translation seem to me to outweigh the advantage of its better source-text.

For all its pervasive use as a liturgical text I cannot recommend this translation. ( )
  jsburbidge | Dec 3, 2013 |
Kindle Bibles are works-in-progress. Very basic edition with links to books only. Word search is slow but seems to be stable. ( )
  c5nest | Jan 14, 2012 |
New Revised Standard version, anglicized. For clarity.
  PollyMoore3 | May 5, 2010 |

Metzger, Bruce M.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moser, BarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This work should only contain NRSV Bibles which contain the Apocrypha. NRSV Bibles without the Apocrypha should be combined in a separate work.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,097,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible