dismiss

The Red House Mystery (1922)

by A. A. Milne

In the tradition of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories, this mystery by the author of the Winnie-the-Pooh book is set in the English countryside in a stately British mansion with an abundance of characters and curious clues.

English (56)  Finnish (1)  All languages (57)
Shakes head. Seriously. Sometimes authors can jump across genres and sometimes they can't. Mr. Milne proves that he should have stuck with Winnie the Pooh. The dialogue was way too talky and I still, still, have no idea who did what to who and have absolutely no urge to figure it out. I breathed a sigh of relief when I was done with this book.

This is part of Goodreads Dead Writers Society genre fiction challenge for May. I realized that I was being way too nice in giving this book 3 stars and rounded it down to 2.

So this is a classic locked room mystery novel that has been better done by Agatha Christie. FYI because of this book I went back and re-read The Body in the Library again this weekend because I needed a palate cleanser.

Taking place in England, one of the characters in this book, Mark Ablett is having a house party with lots of people whose names I refuse to look up right now. Mark's long lost brother who apparently sucked as a human being named Robert shows up. Robert is then found with a bullet in the head and the whole book consists of two other men deciding to investigate. Seriously this book just goes on and on.

The writing was not that great. I know some people found this funny and I am still looking for the funny bits. This whole book was really a poor man's Sherlock Holmes mystery novel. You have to applaud A.A. Milne though, he pretty much shows you how hard it is to write a locked room mystery novel. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
The wastrel brother is murdered and his good brother is suspected. An amateur detective follows the clues through secret passages, lake dredging and disguises. ( )
  LindaLeeJacobs | Feb 15, 2020 |
Writing: 4.0; Theme: 4.5; Content: 5.0; Language: 3.5; Overall: 4.0; We know Milne from the classic Winnie-the-Pooh stories, but this was his only mystery novel (that I am aware of) which was written for his father who was a avid mystery reader. It had an interesting plot and was intriguing to read, but it had a little different style of writing than most mystery novels that I have read. In this novel the owner of the "Red House" dissappears after the suspected death of his brother, so we think. A sleuth detective, Antony, must unravel this mystery along with the dead suspects' friend, Bill. Unfortunately and surprisingly, there were over twenty uses of vulgarity in this volume. ***January 11, 2020*** ( )
  jntjesussaves | Jan 11, 2020 |
Never has there been such an enjoyable mystery-solving duo than Antony and Bill. Just the comic repartee between these two is enough of an incentive to read this classic locked door mystery. They lend a quality of lightheartedness to the story and make it all worth while. The other characters are almost unimportant compared to the pair of friends.

The 1920’s country house setting is a classic mystery trope that works well here. It’s well described and is easily pictured in the minds of the reader. The accompanying village scenes are equally charming and make this murder mystery quite cozy.

The overall plot of the novel is simplistic, but remains intriguing. It’s a locked door mystery, which isn’t seen very often in modern books, but is well done in this classic. The cast of characters isn’t large, so that narrows down the list of possible suspects. Usually that would lead to the perpetrator being easily figured out, but I think the twists and turns of this book keep the reader in suspense until the end.

Overall, I’d say this is a fantastic vintage mystery novel that deserves a little more love than it gets. ( )
  BookishHooker | Dec 16, 2019 |
Too small a cast of characters for a Whodunnit - it’s a Whydiddydoit, resolved in the end by the murderer’s epistolary confession. Country house mystery. Period charm and engaging prose with a pair of jolly pipe smoking chaps, guests of the murdered host, playing at Holmes and Watson. ( )
  Pauntley | Dec 6, 2019 |

Simon, ElisabethTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, Wendell HertigPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
TO JOHN VINE MILNE

My dear father,

Like all really nice people, you have a weakness for detective stories, and feel that there are not enough of them. So, after all that you have done for me, the least that I can do for you is write you one. Here it is: with more gratitude and affection than I can well put down here.

A.A.M.
When I told my agent a few years ago that I was going to write a detective story, he recovered as quickly as could be expected, but made it clear to me (as a succession of editors and publisher made it clear, later, to him) that what the country wanted from "a well-known 'Punch' humorist" was a "humorous story".
(Introduction)
In the drowsy heat of the summer afternoon the Red House was taking its siesta.
To Antony, who was older and who realized into what deep waters they were getting, it did not seem fun. But it was amazingly interesting. He saw so much, and yet somehow it was all out of focus. It was like looking at an opal, and discovering with every movement of it some new colour, some new gleam of light reflected, and yet never really seeing the opal as a whole. He was too near it, or too far away; he strained his eyes and he relaxed his eyes; it was no good. His brain could not get hold of it. But there were moments when he almost had it ... and then turned away from it. (Vintage Books 2008, p. 121)

A "locked-room" murder

solved by pair of witty Brits

just in time for tea.

(legallypuzzled)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,083,562 books! | Top bar: Always visible