The Chinaman by Friedrich Glauser

The Chinaman (1938)

by Friedrich Glauser

The Pledge by Friedrich Dürrenmatt (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: Another Swiss crime novel, written a bit later than Glauser's, by a renowned playwright. The Pledge is less the standard detective story and more atmospheric than The Chinaman (and if you like The Pledge, look into the Picador edition containing all Duerrenmatt's crime novels).… (more)

English (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (3)
One summer day, Sgt. Studer ends up at a small village inn while out motorcycling. He meets a man named James Farny, who tells him that he, Farny, will be dead in three months and that Studer is to solve his murder. Farny is off by a month — it’s four months before he’s dead — but Studer is still going to solve the murder.

This is the fourth book in the Sgt. Studer series and the first one I happened to read. The feel of this reminded me slightly of the Martin Beck series, with the dedicated police officer solving cases in an unexciting but probably more realistic way. Translator Mike Mitchell faced some challenges in rendering the nuances of the various kinds of German (high German vs. Swiss German vs. dialect), but he did a great job overall. I did feel the book might be a bit too sedate, but that was my choice to start with this one. I’d probably try another in the series — there are only five, after all. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Feb 3, 2019 |
fourth of Swiss writer Glauser's five "Sergeant Studer" novels to appear in English (following Thumbprint, Fever, and In Matto's Realm and preceding The Spoke), some seventy or so years after their initial publication. This one struck me as a little old-fashioned, somewhat confusing, and a bit too deliberate. Set in the countryside outside Bern, the story is set in motion when Studer stops in a country inn to fill up his motorcycle. Formerly a detective in the Geneva police, he was apparently drummed out due to his inability to turn a blind eye, and is now a lowly Sergeant in the canton police.
  fordbarbara | Jan 9, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,549,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible