Superman: For Tomorrow, Vol. 1 by Brian…
    Kingdom Come by Mark Waid (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: For Tomorrow tells the story of how a wonderful, naive, innocent Superman can become the wonderful, disillusioned, sometimes hardnosed Superman of Kingdom Come.
    Superman: Red Son by Mark Millar (swampygirl)
    Superman: For Tomorrow, Vol. 2 by Brian Azzarello (TomWaitsTables)

I love the art of Jim Lee. This graphic novel is a little different because the "Superman" role is a little blurred. Instead of being the ultimate good guy, we see a little shakiness to his demeanor. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
Okay, that was weird. I think that there was some stuff about 1.3 million people missing and it had something to do with a lady and a war in another country. I think.

Also, as seems to be a common theme in Superman Comics these days Superman was agonizing over what he does,, why he does it, how he does it, and even if he should do it at all, this time with the help of a Catholic Priest. Also, Lois is one of the missing, and so he finds himself seeing everything through a very different lens. ( )
  DanieXJ | Nov 6, 2014 |
This volume reminded me a lot of Superman: Red Son. I think it was because Superman was dealing with deeper moral issues that made him feel powerless.

While I am interested in seeing where the second goes, I was really bothered by how choppy the story is. The way in which scenes got chopped up into really abrupt sections really cheapened the story. This was probably done to appeal to more action oriented fans and people who don't naturally like to think very deeply. On the one hand, it's a good thing to present these otherwise rather shallow people with deeper material; on the other hand, it can get really annoying when better things get ignored in favor of works that spoon-feed "deepness" to the reader.

But hey, it is an interesting concept. I liked the artwork. ( )
  swampygirl | Jul 17, 2014 |
The thing I really like about Superman-- the thing that I think Superman For All Seasons captured so well-- is that he's a guy who feels like the weight of the entire world is on his shoulders. He doesn't angst out over this, not usually, but feels it all the time. He has the power to do the greatest good of anyone in the entire world; how can that not weigh on him? So he does his best, like any hero would do, but not even Superman's best is always enough. Sometimes, he fails.

For Tomorrow begins a year after the Vanishing, an incident where over a million people vanished instantaneously. Superman wasn't there-- he was in space, doing what Superman does, helping people-- and he holds himself accountable, not the least because among the Vanished is one Lois Lane. Superman travels to the apparent origin point of the energy waves that cause the Vanishing, tracking them down to a country in the Middle East. When he arrives there, he doesn't find the source of the Vanishing, but he does find a civil war: one he decides to end.

All of these events are being narrated by Superman to Father Daniel Leone, a Catholic priest. Exactly why Superman feels the need to deliver his story under the seal of confessional isn't clear, but he tells Daniel that his sin "was to save the world", and it's certainly related to the actions he took after the Vanishing, which were drastic, to say the least: he stops a battle in the civil war, tracks down the leader of the insurgents, only to find he's already won. So he helps stabilize things by cleaning up the area. But what he eventually discovers is that the now-toppled regime was who created the Vanishing device, which has fallen into the hands of General Nox, the insurgent leader, and Equus, his cybernetic henchman. The dialogue between Superman and Father Leone runs over all these scenes, proving an insight into Superman's state of mind, and it is immensely well done: Brian Azzarello seems to get Superman. He's upset without being angsty, troubled without being tortured. He sees himself as one of us, and that is why the burden he bears is such a hard one. He doesn't always win, but no one tries harder.

It's hard to judge this story right now, because it's not a story. In its infinite need for profit, DC split the For Tomorrow story up across two different trade paperbacks, so all we get here is the first half. And it's not even really a first half, given the terribly out-of-sequence way we're learning about events. We might have half of the story, but it's not a continuous half. But what's here is good: Superman's frustration is portrayed well, as is his drive and determination. I love the bit where he fights four elementals (summoned by a mysterious woman who I hope is explained in volume two) determined to cleanse the earth of human life, defeating them through cunning and sheer force of will, not punching.

Of course, not everything quite works, not yet. Though I like the disjointed narrative in general, and I love the in medias res opener, there are parts where it's almost impossible to parse what's going on, especially with Superman's talk with the Justice League. Though maybe this will be filled in later. The Justice League's reaction to the Vanishing is oddly muted, too: obviously this is because it's a Superman story in a Superman book... but it makes them look like jerks to tell Superman he's too involved to handle the issue but seemingly do nothing about it themselves. I don't really get what's up with the confrontation with Aquaman, either. And Equus is a pretty uninteresting villain, though on the other hand, General Nox and Mr. Orr are working for me so far. And as for the earth elemental being formed out of Mt. Rushmore...

But the heart of this book are the conversations between Superman and Father Leone, and those work. A lot. Daniel has his own demons to deal with: just like Superman he wants to help everyone, and just like Superman he can't. The rapport the two men have springs up immediately and works very well, giving a focus to the often-disjointed story. I like the banter they have as both attempt to answer the unanswerable, always switching roles as questioner and answerer.

Even when Brian Azzarello's writing slips a little though, it all still works: Jim Lee's art is fantastic. That man knows how to draw Superman in an iconic pose, and that's a good thing given how often the character seems to pose here. His Superman isn't someone you'd want to mess with. All the art is handled well, though, especially the settings, which effectively move from gleaming Metropolis to war-torn desert, from lunar fortress to underwater, from a Catholic church to deepest space.

I don't know where For Tomorrow is going yet, but that doesn't stop me from looking forward to volume two. Superman should always be written this well.
1 vote Stevil2001 | Nov 22, 2009 |
Brian Azzarello has taken a very intriguing idea, and done some interesting things with it - and the artwork by Jim Lee is quite fine and impressive. But so far, in this first volume of the story, plotting is a bit of a shambles. The basic premise is that a new weapon, employed during the prosecution of a civil war in a small African country, has caused hundreds of thousands of people across the planet - including Lois Lane - to spontaneously disappear. Superman, in response, crosses boundaries he had not previously crossed, in his frustration at the willingness of the people of this planet to keep harming themselves, in spite of his best efforts. He even, apparently, destroys all guns on the planet, although this is cursorily alluded to, and the ramifications of such a move are barely touched. The rest of the Justice League does register their discomfort with his new willingness to step in as the planet's prodigal parent. This is an intriguing storyline, but messily executed. There are a few new powerful villains, of sorts, who spring out of nowhere to oppose him. And it's hard to know where the author is going with this storyline, which would have been much better if the main theme had not been made so convoluted. I hope the succeeding volumes resolve these concerns, because I love the artwork and some of the ideas here. A final quibble is the dialogue; there are too many artificially portentious phrases that sound like they were written by soap-opera veterans. ( )
1 vote burnit99 | Dec 26, 2006 |

Brian Azzarelloprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lee, JimIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, ScottIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Millions of people have vanished without a trace, and a year later Superman still has many questions. As the stakes are raised, how far is he willing to go for the sake of tomorrow?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,843,761 books! | Top bar: Always visible