Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant (1982)

by Anne Tyler

Pearl Tull is nearing the end of her life but not her memory. It was a Sunday night in 1944 when her husband left the little row house on Baltimore's Calvert Street, abandoning Pearl to raise their three children alone: Jenny, high-spirited and determined, nurturing to strangers but distant to those she loves; the oldest son, Cody, a wild and incorrigible youth possessed by the lure of power and money; and sweet and clumsy Ezra, Pearl's favorite, who never stops yearning for the "perfect" family that could never be his own. Now grown, they have gathered together again-with anger, with hope, and with a beautiful, harsh, and dazzling story to tell.… (more)
Recently added byprivate library, MendoLibrary, SueKingWords, mantouarty, Leeann_M, Jude59, askannakarenina

English (61)  Catalan (3)  Hebrew (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (66)
An easy, straightforward novel, but not my favorite Tyler. She writes about a compelling subject, a challenged, dysfunctional family, but their actions are repetitive with little progress or enlightenment in personal or interpersonal development. And there is loss of focus with details spent on sidebar scenes. I would recommend for example, Accidental Tourist or Breathing Lessons. ( )
  Misprint | Aug 31, 2020 |
This was a light read which fulfilled my need for something undemanding during these strange times. It was okay but not one of her best. ( )
  HelenBaker | Apr 16, 2020 |
Family relationships are complicated and Anne Tyler has a marvelous way of demonstrating that. Sometimes, things don't get resolved—at least not in the way we'd like. ( )
  DonnaMarieMerritt | Oct 14, 2018 |
Most people raved about this book. I’ve read other books by this author, but years ago. I was disappointed. I just never got into the story. I really didn’t care. Maybe I’m too old to appreciate the family dynamics. I’m seeing the world more from Pearl’s vantage point in life. The view is different. ( )
  melanieklo | Jul 25, 2018 |
The cover of my book claims this is a New York Times Bestseller--I guess this is why I don't hold much stock with the bestseller lists. Don't get me wrong, it was an okay read. Kind of bittersweet. But I didn't think it was anything spectacular.

The title finally made sense to me at the end of the book. Prior to that, I struggled along trying to figure out what the book was supposed to be about. The writing seemed very passive to me. No one seemed to really do anything most of the time--it was as if things just happened around them.

Beck Tull walks out on Pearl, leaving her with three children to raise. Cody, the oldest, becomes very competitive, wanting to win at everything, so it galls him when most of his girlfriends that he brings round suddenly take more interest in his brother, Ezra, than in him.

Ezra, the middle child, befriends an elderly widow who owns a restaurant and whose son was killed in the war. He ends up inheriting the restaurant. Along the way, he meets a cook whom he plans to marry--until his older brother steals her away from him.

Jenny, the youngest child, becomes a pediatrician and, after several false starts, ends up with a large blended family.

Pearl's death reunites the entire family who may finally have a meal altogether at Ezra's restaurant. ( )
  JenniferRobb | May 10, 2018 |
Every other year or so since 1964, loyal readers pick up their new Anne Tyler novel as they would buy a favored brand of sensible shoe. Each of her nine books is solidly constructed from authentic and durable materials. Yet traditional style and comfort do not necessarily mean dullness. Tyler's characters have character: quirks, odd angles of vision, colorful mean streaks and harmonic longings. They usually live in ordinary settings, like Baltimore, the author's current home, and do not seem to have been overly influenced by the 7 o'clock news. An issue in a Tyler novel is likely to mean a new child; a cause, the reason behind a malfunction in an appliance or a marriage.
added by Shortride | editTime, R. Z. Sheppard (pay site) (Apr 5, 1982)

Anne Tylerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Leigh-Loohuizen, RiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marcellino, FredCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
While Pearl Tull was dying, a funny thought occurred to her.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,714,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible