A Book of Travellers' Tales

by Eric Newby

David Livingstone on being attacked by a lion in Africa, Cecil Beaton on an evening with the Rolling Stones in Marrakesh, Roman Emperor Hannibal on crossing the Alps, Henry James on the Epsom Derby, John Steinbeck on trying to get out of a small town in upstate New York ... these are some of the more than 300 writers and subjects represented in this veritable Who's Who of travellers from 430 B.C. to the 1980s.… (more)

An anthology of travel tales.
  Alhickey1 | Feb 28, 2018 |
This book is a collection of excerpts from travel memoirs of the great travellers and explorers over the ages. Arranged into chapters by geographical area it contains pieces by everyone from Ibn Battuta to Queen Victoria and includes great moments such as Stanley & Livingstone's first encounter and the diaries of Robert Scott.

The range of the book is wonderful - from anecdotes about customs in far-flung places to getting out of some very sticky situations. What really comes across is the unknown that explorers went into in the past. Travel is so easy now and much of the world is relatively well-explored and civilised. But imagine exploring Africa 200 years ago - going into uncharted land, encountering hostile natives and all the hardships of lack of food, water and shelter.

This book was published in 1985 and covers centuries of travel. I would love to see an extended version covering the travel to the present day - perhaps some Ranulph Fiennes, Michael Palin or even Ewan McGregor would bring it up to date.

I liked this book but then I like travelling and I like classic literature. Most of all it has given me great respect for the pioneering explorers who have paved the way for people like me to travel and explore in their own small way. ( )
  tortoisebook | Jun 13, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,241,023 books! | Top bar: Always visible