Hungry (2020)

by Grace Dent

Toast by Nigel Slater (nessreader)
    nessreader: Memoirs of British childhoods with a food theme, evoking the processed foods of their period. Part funny part bittersweet

I found this generally amusing, and also moving towards the end. ( )
  pgchuis | Mar 12, 2021 |
I do not mind admitting that until I saw this book, I had never heard of Grace Dent, but this is because I had never read any of her work or watched the television programmes that she has taken part in. However, I was very touched by her story and in the future I will be looking out for her.
One of the main reasons that I enjoyed her book was because it reminded me of my own youth. Although I am several years older than Grace, I can still identify with the lifestyle and food that was available to working class people during the seventies. I could also identify with the changes that people made to their diets during the 1980s when supermarkets became much bigger and offered more food at much cheaper prices. As stated in the book, many of these foods were to prove to be very bad for the nation`s health with the majority of people eating too much fat and sugar during this time.
Grace`s memoir is a true story of how a young working class woman worked (and played ) hard, to get where she is today. ( )
1 vote nuttybooklady | Dec 9, 2020 |
In Hungry (Mudlark), the restaurant critic Grace Dent tells of her early life in Carlisle, and her relationship with her father, who would cook her "sketty" – his name for spag bol – when she was a child. Tender and witty, the book is both a love-letter to George, whose eventual decline from dementia she recounts, and the food that brought them together.
added by Cynfelyn | editThe Guardian, Fiona Sturges (Nov 28, 2020)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,911,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible