Wolf Brother (2004)

by Michelle Paver

Series: Chronicles of Ancient Darkness (1)

2,144725,963 (4)80
6,000 years in the past, twelve-year-old Tarak and his guide, a wolf cub, set out on a dangerous journey to fulfill an oath the boy made to his dying father--to travel to the Mountain of the World Spirit seeking a way to destroy a demon-possessed bear that threatens all the clans.
    My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George (Anonymous user)
    Ghost of Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelsen (range6)
    range6: Tribal life and the importance of the Spirit Bear appear in both stories.
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (Hedgepeth)

English (68)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (72)
MG adventure but I choose it for the narrator Ian McKellen. So far he does not disappoint.
------------------

A good intro to the genre for youngins.

I won't be continuing with the series. ( )
  Seayla2020 | Aug 23, 2021 |
Torak is a young boy, brought up by his father, learning how to survive and hunt in the forest. His father is killed by a huge bear, but Torak escapes, promising his father he would go to the Mountain of the World Spirit.

His journey begins with him finding Wolf, an orphaned wolf cub, who is the guide his father referred to. They are captured by the Raven clan, but escape thanks to Renn. Their mission is to kill the bear that killed Torak’s father and that threatens them all.

A lovely book full of adventure and danger. Torak may only be a boy but he has the fate of the world as he knows it on his shoulders. He must use the wit his father has taught him and find the truth of his past.

A marvellous book for younger readers as well as older ones. A tale well told, from the perspective of a child which simplifies things and is refreshing. ( )
  Matacabras | Jul 6, 2021 |
My life changed forever when I went to my local library and found this book on one of the shelves, along with the rest of the series. As someone who loves Native American cultures, finding a book about ancient Stone Age Native Americans, I knew I was in for a great read. Michelle Paver created a beautiful world filled with lovable characters. Torak, Wolf, and Renn felt like family by the time I finished the series. The amount of research done for this book is evident, but not overpowering. The quest keeps readers going, hungry for the outcome, and has them rooting for Torak and Wolf to succeed and triumph over evil. This series was my introduction to fantasy fiction as a fourth grader, and I am recently rediscovering the genre as a 23 year old master's student.

For lovers of the Warriors series with the wild cats, this book offers a glimpse into a different world but with similar heroics and quests.

Genre: Fantasy
Sub-Genre: Historical Fiction, Animal Fantasy ( )
  briana_gagnon | Jun 10, 2021 |
Despite it's setting, this book is very much the human-wolf bonding story I have enjoyed before. The adventure is new, but that connection between the main character and his wolf companion echoes other books that I've enjoyed. It's a good book, and I hope one day to check out the rest of the series. ( )
  AshleighDJCutler | May 12, 2020 |
Den tog mig tillbaka till Annelis högläsning i mellanstadiet. Den är fortfarande lika bra. ( )
  autisticluke | Nov 14, 2019 |

Omland, StianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Orcese, AlessandraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Post Uiterweer, EllisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, GeoffIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torak woke with a jolt from a sleep he'd never meant to have.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,283,373 books! | Top bar: Always visible