L. A. Requiem (1999)

by Robert Crais

Series: Elvis Cole (8)

A reckoning has come to the City of Angels... Karen Garcia is missing and her father doesn't trust the cops - he wants someone he knows on the case. So he enlists the help of Elvis Cole and Joe Pike. It seems that Karen is the latest victim of a distinctive serial killer and the police are determined to pin her death, and four others, on the witness who found her body. Cole doesn't believe the man has the guts to murder, and with his partner and the police at each other's throats, it's down to him to find the connection that will reveal the killer. But nailing the murderer means choosing between the two people he cares most about...… (more)

English (31)  Spanish (2)  All languages (33)
Fieldnotes:
Laurel Canyon, Contemporary (p.1999)

1 Wise-ass Private Detective

1 Dead Former Partner
1 Chaste Mooncalf Lurve
Misplaced Sense of Honor

The Short Version
I liked reading Pike's backstory flashbacks and wish we had gotten to actually work cases with him rather than just moon about with descriptions of his ice-blue eyes.

Elvis Cole remains irritating, stuck in self-inflicted romantic woes because apparently everyone finds him so irresistible as to fall in love with him after 3 meetings (what??) and he doesn't know how to say no to this.

I would watch this as a TV show (where I don't actually expect the motives to make sense since I just look to be entertained for 48 minutes). But as a book, I'm annoyed at the motivations not making a lick of sense and the clues that would have been necessary to play along being misleadingly obscured. ( )
  Caramellunacy | Nov 12, 2022 |
A surprisingly thoughtful police thriller. While the plot itself wasn't particularly original or groundbreaking, the language and character development were. There is a particular subplot with the main character's girlfriend that could have been handled in a black and white/he's right she's wrong way that I was pleasantly surprised to find developed with nuance and heart. This was the first of the series I read (found it in a free library) but it will not be the last. ( )
  Jthierer | Aug 30, 2021 |
So good in every way! ( )
  MariaGreene | Jun 30, 2021 |
IF YOU READ ONE CRAIS BOOK, THIS WOULD BE IT. I STILL RECOMMEND READING THEM IN ORDER, HOWEVER. YOU LEARN THE HISTORY OF JOE PIKE WITH GIRLFRIENDS ,THE POLICE, AND ELVIS COLE. THIS ALSO CONTINUES eLVIS WITH HIS GIRL FRIEND FROM lOUISIANA. ( )
  pgabj | Aug 22, 2019 |
I read this years ago, and just read it again. It's one of the very best in the Elvis Cole series. If you haven't tried Robert Crais, I heartily recommend this as a starting place. ( )
  cmt100 | Feb 3, 2018 |

Robert Craisprimary authorall editionscalculated
McLarty, RonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Do you know what love is?/(I would bleed out for you.) --Tattooed Beach Sluts

I've got the whole town under my thumb/and all I've gotta do is keep acting dumb//We say goodbye so very politely/Now say hello to the killer inside me. --MC 900 Ft. Jesus

Mama, Mama, can't you see/What the Marine Corps has done to me?/Made me lean and made me strong/Made me where I can do no wrong. --USMC marching cadence
For Ed Waters and Sid Ellis, who taught me more than words. "And dat's da' name o' dat tune."
Uniformed LAPD Officer Joe Pike could hear the banda music even with the engine idling, the a.c. jacked to meat locker, and the two-way crackling callout codes to other units.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,391,681 books! | Top bar: Always visible