Battlestations! by Diane Carey

Not a Star Trek book, but a Piper adventure.  And a mess.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
Carey's second outing with Lt. Piper reads a little more smoothly than the first (Dreadnought!), but it's still very rough around the edges. This one at least has a recognizable and marginally logical plot arc, although some of the individual scenes don't quite fit in with it. In general Carey spends too much time telling us that her characters are undergoing profound internal conflicts, instead of developing them to a depth where we can empathize with those conflicts without help. Piper, Sarda, and Scanner still mostly seem like Kirk, Spock, and McCoy in disguise, but they do start to develop slight traces of individuality.

Like its predecessor, Battlestations! has a relentless pace that covers some (not all) of the plot holes, plus more of the author's one-liners, which are usually worth a giggle even when they're cheesy. ( )
  Zathras86 | Jun 13, 2009 |
An excellent Star Trek novel which reprises the guest crew of Lt. Cmdr. Piper and Sarda, her Vulcan first officer and best friend as they help Kirk and crew fight off an attempt to steal the new transwarp propulsion system. Piper and her crew are an original bunch of roguish heroes, the action and strategy are fine, and the relationship between yet another human commander and Vulcan "thyla" is intriguing and well-handled. ( )
  burnit99 | Jan 4, 2007 |
You could feel the wind at your back in those days...the sounds of the sea...even if you take away the wind and the water, it's still the same. The ship is yours, you can feel her...and the stars are still there, Bones.
--The Ultimate Computer
This novel is dedicated to the man and the ship responsible for my sail training -
Captain Joseph Maggio and the beautiful, hardworking Bahamian schooner William H. Albury.

Their union proved to me that captains really do exist who feel the same intensity toward their ships that James Kirk feels toward the Enterprise.
The enemy ship cut across our port bow, forcing us to heel off to starboard, but our captain gripped the forward rail and refused to give more than a meter.

INVASION!

Three Star Fleet Security Division uniforms distilled into being. Two men, large. and a woman, compactly built but somehow imposing in her own way.

Kirk got up from the helm chair, moving to them like a prowling tiger. Sharply he demanded, "Just what is the meaning of this intrusion?"

"Captain James T Kirk?"

"Yes."

"Lieutenant Alexander, sir. Sir I am instructed to escort you to Star Fleet headquarters regarding an inquiry issued by Star Fleet command; and the Federation Military Advisory Committed. If you do not choose to cooperate, I am authorized to place you under special arrest."

"In other words," Kirk said, eyes narrowing, "I go with you either way."

Battlestations!

Back on Earth enjoying a well-deserved shore leave, Captain Kirk is rudely accosted by a trio of Starfleet security guards. It seems he is wanted for questioning in connection with the theft of transwarp -- the Federation's newest, most advanced propulsion system. Could Captain Kirk, Starfleet's most decorated hero, be guilty of stealing top-secret technology? With the aid of Mr. Spock, Lt. Comdr. Piper begins a desperate search for the scientists who developed transwarp -- a search that leads her to an isolated planet, where she discovers the real -- and very dangerous -- traitor!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:49 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,563,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible