Friends at Thrush Green by Miss Read

Friends at Thrush Green (1990)

by Miss Read

Series: Thrush Green (10)

Friends At Thrush Green by Miss Read is the tenth book in her Thrush Green series and these simple stories about a small British village have a special place my heart. The author writes of the changing seasons in the countryside and the small affairs of village life in a timeless manner. Her characters have problems but they are usually worked out through the course of each book with the help of their friends and their own good sense.

This book both opens and closes with a visit from previous Thrush Green residents. Dorothy and Agnes were the school teachers at the local school and lived in the house adjoining the school. Upon retirement they moved to a cottage by the sea, but they return to visit with their friends and catch up with local gossip. The book opens in spring and takes us through the course of a year, and some of the other stories that are followed are the on-going search of farmer Percy Hodge for a wife, the worrisome aging of another resident and how the new school master and his family are settling in. Some of these stories take a very serious turn as both senility and alcoholism play a major part.

Friends at Thrush Green was another engaging story about this idyllic village and the wonderful characters that live there. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Mar 4, 2018 |
What can I say that I haven't already said about Thrush Green? This is my village and these are my friends. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |

Miss Readprimary authorall editionscalculated
Goodall, John S.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watford, GwenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
To Chris with love
'It is an extraordinary thing,' said Harold Shoosmith one breakfast time, 'but I seem to have lost my reading glasses.'

Miss Read's charming Thrush Green series continues with Friends at Thrush Green. There had been general dismay when Miss Watson and Miss Fogerty retired to Barton-on-the-Sea after many years of devoted service teaching the children of Thrush Green, so their visit to see old friends in the village brings great pleasure. The new headmaster, Alan Lester, is cautiously accepted, but rumor is rife about his wife's health.
Meanwhile, Farmer Percy Hodge is also the subject of local speculation: Is his strange behavior the result of an infatuation with the young Doreen Lilly? As for affairs at the Lovelocks' house, it is increasingly apparent that Bertha Lovelock is now in her dotage and a new and most unfortunate habit is the cause of considerable embarrassment to the good people of Lulling. All these matters and more are faced by our old friends against the familiar background and changing seasons of the English Cotswolds.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:46 -0400)

"Dorothy Watson and Agnes Fogerty return to Thrush Green to visit old friends and find the community abuzz with gossip. The new headmaster, Alan Lester, and his family have moved into the schoolhouse but rumours are rife concerning his wife Maragaret. There is speculation about the Lovelocks' elder sister Bertha while farmer Percy Hodge sets tongues wagging as he may be contemplating marriage. Find old friends and make new ones in Miss Read's delightful chroncile of Cotswold life." --- [back cover]… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,440,265 books! | Top bar: Always visible