The Berenstain Bears and the Bad Dream (1988)

by Stan Berenstain, Jan Berenstein

1,217612,809 (3.82)None
After viewing a scary movie about the Spacegrizzlies, Brother Bear has a nightmare.

lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
I recently picked this book up from the bookstore after seeing it again. I remember this particular Berenstain Bear book as being one of my favorites when I was a child, and I was not disappointed when I read it again. I really enjoyed rereading this book. All the Berenstain books have some sort of moral, topic, or lesson that they teach in each book. In this particular book, Brother Bear and Sister Bear have bad dreams after an eventful day. I love the Berenstain books for various reasons, one being the family dynamics in the book. It is very realistic and is easy to relate to for the majority of children. There is fights between siblings, parent lectures, and compromises between family members who love each other. When I was little I didn’t realize what I was learning through reading these books, but as an adult it is very interesting to see the subtle ways that these books instill morals or information into the text. For example, without realizing it, children are learning that “even though you go to sleep, your mind keeps right on thinking. But it doesn’t think in a sensible way. It takes all the things you were thinking or were nervous about during the day and puts them together all jumbled like a mixed-up jigsaw puzzle.” I love that the books can introduce concepts like brain activity and dreams at an early age in a way that doesn’t overwhelm the reader and can be understood at a child’s level. Finally, the drawings in this book are superb and exactly how I remember them, even after all these years. The pictures were what I remembered the most about this story and it really makes sense because the pictures supplemented the story in a very good way. They made the book memorable. ( )
1 vote EmilyXia | Sep 30, 2015 |
This children's book has some good vocabulary words for younger kids. For example, it explains what a nightmare is and a few other more challenging words for younger children. At the end of the book, the brother bear gets to explain to his sister what he has learned throughout the book about nightmares. ( )
  Hhaddad1 | Mar 4, 2015 |
Brother and Sister bear learn about dreams and how things from real life can be incorporated into dreams! They also learn that there is nothing to be afraid of. ( )
  caitsm | Apr 4, 2011 |
I think this would be a good books for all elementary school ages. Everyone has bad dreams. It teaches kids that they do not need to be afriad of their bad dreams. It also teaches them that some things that are in your dreams are not real. Kids just need to remember that they are safe at home in their beds.
  baphilipson | Nov 16, 2008 |

Berenstain, Stanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berenstein, Janmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Some dreams make cubs laugh. Some dreams make them cry. It's interesting to think about what they dream and why.
Brother Bear was just crazy about Space Grizzlies.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,327,168 books! | Top bar: Always visible