Empire of Ivory by Naomi Novik

Empire of Ivory (2008)

by Naomi Novik

Series: Temeraire (4)

English (91)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (93)
One of the more intense books in this series. ( )
  scarylullabies | Feb 19, 2019 |

In this episode, we go to Africa! While it was a thrilling adventure, as Novik normally crafts, and especially it was thrilling to view the Cape of Good Hope in an alternate reality, it really felt like Novik was crafting her Politically Correct Novel, in and among the rest of the novels in this series.

That's being unfair to Novik's writing, and especially to her description of the homebase (and intricate workings) of the African dragonlords and their civilization. But she pushed a bit too hard on the slavery vs. anti-slavery theme (again, fairly, a real conflict within the British empire at this time), and the evils of colonialism. We got it, really we did. Again, the African homebase description was brilliantly and inventively described, but the novel came with a lot of extra killing and death (yes, even the dragons are among those) in service to this novel's plot.

At least she ends it on a high note. (Joke. It's downright upsetting and I would like to find out what happens sooner than later, except I have 20 other books in my "to-read" list in front of this one.) ( )
  khage | Jan 31, 2019 |
Temeraire and Laurence return to England to find disturbing news: the entire aerial corps has been affected with a disease. Dragons are sick and some have died - for the rest, it's only a matter of time. The feral dragons, Izkierka, and Temeraire are set to patrol duty until they realize that they know the cure, and set out to Africa to find it.

The alternate world in which Napoleonic wars occur with dragons expands even further and now we get a sense of the slave trade. The story takes a few twists and turns that I don't want to give away. Seeing the intricacies of this world and its players unfold is the fun in this book. There isn't as much banter - things are getting much more serious - and Temeraire's questioning and black-and-white view of the world tests Laurence's logic and his understanding of duty. ( )
  bell7 | Jul 7, 2018 |
I have to say I just lost interest. I felt it happening in the 3rd book and then I took a long break but nothing grabbed me with this book.
1 vote CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |

Naomi Novikprimary authorall editionscalculated
Davidson, AndrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harman, DominicCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Francesca, may we always flee lions together.
"Send up another, damn you, send them all up, at once if you have to,” Laurence said savagely to poor Calloway, who did not deserve to be sworn at: the gunner was firing off the flares so quickly his hands were scorched black, skin cracking and peeling to bright red where some powder had spilled onto his fingers; he was not stopping to wipe them clean before setting each flare to the match.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345496876, Mass Market Paperback)

“A new writer is soaring on the wings of a dragon.”
–The New York Times

“Enthralling reading–it’s like Jane Austen playing Dungeons & Dragons with Eragon’s Christopher Paolini.”
–Time, on His Majesty’s Dragon

Tragedy has struck His Majesty’s Aerial Corps, whose magnificent fleet of fighting dragons and their human captains valiantly defend England’s shores against the encroaching armies of Napoleon Bonaparte. An epidemic of unknown origin and no known cure is decimating the noble dragons’ ranks–forcing the hopelessly stricken into quarantine. Now only Temeraire and a pack of newly recruited dragons remain uninfected–and stand as the only means of an airborne defense against France’s ever bolder sorties.
Bonaparte’s dragons are already harrowing Britain’s ships at sea. Only one recourse remains: Temeraire and his captain, Will Laurence, must take wing to Africa, whose shores may hold the cure to the mysterious and deadly contagion. On this mission there is no time to waste, and no telling what lies in store beyond the horizon or for those left behind to wait, hope, and hold the line.

“A gripping adventure full of rich detail and the impossible wonder of gilded fantasy.”
–Entertainment Weekly, on His Majesty’s Dragon

“A thrilling fantasy . . . All hail Naomi Novik.”
–The Washington Post Book World, on His Majesty’s Dragon

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:33 -0400)

Tragedy has struck His Majesty's Aerial Corps, as an epidemic of unknown origin and no known cure is decimating the dragons' ranks. Only Temeraire and a pack of newly recruited dragons remain uninfected and must stand as the only means of airborne defense against France's ever bolder sorties. As Bonaparte's dragons harrow Britain's ships, Temeraire and his captain, Will Laurence, take wing to Africa in search of a cure for the deadly contagion.… (more)

Naomi Novik is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,167,138 books! | Top bar: Always visible