Tales from Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin

Tales from Earthsea (2001)

by Ursula K. Le Guin

Series: The Earthsea Cycle (5)

English (38)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (40)
A couple of short stories taking place in Earthsea. I enjoyed how all of them showed some characters we knew already (sometimes just in passing), but through the eyes of people who would count as "insignificant" in most stories. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
So, I loved [b:Tales from Earthsea|13659|Tales from Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle, #5)|Ursula K. Le Guin|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1309202073s/13659.jpg|65982]. I realize not everyone else loved it, but I really, really did.

The stories expanded upon [a:Ursula K. Le Guin|874602|Ursula K. Le Guin|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1244291425p2/874602.jpg]'s world of Earthsea in a beautiful way, adding a richness of culture and history that wasn't there previously. She helped differentiate between the wild earthly magic of women and the more academic magic of men. She dealt in both familiar characters and unfamiliar ones. She even expanded upon legend.

While everyone wants more stories of Sparrowhawk in his prime, I'm quite happy with anything that takes place in her world. It's rich, it's beautiful, and it's stunningly well developed. The essay at the end that actually detailed the world from an anthropological perspective was gorgeous. I wish all fantasy was so well developed as this in a logical way. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
What a delight to go back to Earthsea and read more stories from that marvelous place. It was quite odd to be in the middle of this when I heard the news that the author had died, but I was glad that I still have so many more of her works to enjoy. ( )
  JBD1 | Feb 2, 2018 |
The first of these -- really a novella not a short story -- is to my mind the very best of Earthsea. (Even though it is an Origin Story and I hate those as a rule.) I like the chaarcter Hound very, very much.
  sonofcarc | Nov 19, 2017 |
Really enjoyed these snapshots of Earthsea's history. ( )
  AJBraithwaite | Aug 14, 2017 |

Kleiner, BarbaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rikman, KristiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valla, RiccardoContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dla moich braci: Cliftona, Teda, Karla
This is the first page of the Book of the Dark, written some six hundred years ago in Berila, on Enlad: "After Elfarran and Morred perished and the Isle of Soléa sank beneath the sea, the Council of the Wise governed for the child Serriadh until he took the throne."
Short story collection; not to be confused (or combined) with omnibus editions of the NOVELS, or with the animated film of the same title. Contains "The Finder", "Darkrose and Diamond", "The Bones of the Earth", "On the High Marsh", and "Dragonfly".

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0441011241, Mass Market Paperback)

Winner of five Nebula and five Hugo Awards, the National Book Award, the Newbery, and many other awards, Ursula K. Le Guin is one of the finest authors ever to write science fiction and fantasy. Her greatest creation may be the powerful, beautifully written, and deeply imagined Earthsea Cycle, which inhabits the rarified air at the pinnacle of modern fantasy with J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy and Jane Yolen's Chronicles of Great Alta. The books of the Earthsea Cycle are A Wizard of Earthsea (1968), The Tombs of Atuan (1971), The Farthest Shore (1972), the Nebula-winning Tehanu (1990), and now, Tales of Earthsea (2001).

If you have never read an Earthsea book, this collection isn't the place to start, as the author points out in her thoughtful foreword; begin with A Wizard of Earthsea. If you insist on starting with Tales of Earthsea, read the foreword and the appended "Description of Earthsea" before proceeding to the five stories (three of which are original to this book).

The opening story, "The Finder," occupies a third of the volume and has the strength and insight of a novel. This novella describes the youth of Otter, a powerful but half-trained sorcerer, and reveals how Otter came to an isle that cannot be found, and played a role in the founding of the great Roke School. "Darkrose and Diamond" tells of two lovers who would turn their backs on magic. In "The Bones of the Earth," an aging wizard and his distant pupil must somehow join forces to oppose an earthquake. Ged, the Archmage of Earthsea, appears in "On the High Marsh" to find the mad and dangerous mage he had driven from Roke Island. And in "Dragonfly," the closing story, a mysterious woman comes to the Roke School to challenge the rule that only men may be mages. "Dragonfly" takes place a few years after Tehanu and is the bridge between that novel and the next novel, The Other Wind (fall 2001). --Cynthia Ward

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:45 -0400)

Explores further the magical world of Earthsea through five tales of events which occur before or after the time of the original novels, as well as an essay on the people, languages, history and magic of the place.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,620,071 books! | Top bar: Always visible