The Everlasting

by Tim Lebbon

A young man is haunted by ghosts who believe he can lead them to an ancient book that contains the secret of immortality.

3.5 stars

Wow, finally finished this one. This poor book was lost for weeks, and I was distracted off and on when reading it. Just took awhile. The first half didn't pull me in and it was harder to get into. The story and details took off much nicer the second part. It's a personal pet peeve of mine but I kept shuddering whenever the hero of the story kept saying, Papa. It just didn't sit right with me. Otherwise Lebbon writes beautifully, the author is incredibly talented with words! It's a poetic type, fantasy setting and story. I'd be more inclined to consider it fantasy than horror, despite how it's labeled. The plot is bizarre, mystical, and always kept me surprised with changes and turnarounds. You never quite know what's going to happen next, what's real, and who to trust. The pacing didn't pull me in for so long, hence the lower star rating, but still very enjoyable, a talented piece that deserves reading when you're in the mood for this style. ( )
1 vote ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Thirty years ago Scott's grandfather killed his best friend and shortly afterwards committed suicide. Now Scott gets a letter from his grandfather, delivered by hand. That letter leads him through a horror of ghosts and immortals. It's interesting and I enjoyed the ride. There were times when it lagged a bit, motives were unclear, and the resolution of all the buildup was largely a let down, I was left feeling a little like it was sequel bait. It also wasn't all that horrific, more thriller with some supernatural thrown in. ( )
1 vote wyvernfriend | Jun 28, 2010 |
After a man's wife is taken by a friend of his grandfather's that he thought was dead, he finds that his grandfather was the founder of an artifact that has powers that could change the world. Allying himself with an immortal woman with mysterious motives, he researches into his past to find the way back to his wife, and finds out more about his family's past than he ever thought possible.

The Everlasting was a fun read, but it wasn't anything tremendous or groundbreaking. It's still very enjoyable and I had a great time reading it, despite a couple minor problems with its pacing. ( )
1 vote NKSCF | Jun 12, 2010 |
I loved this book. the plot was generic but the pacing of the story was great. Like with most of Lebbon's stuff, it is very creative, and i have always been a fan of stories where the charachters must go on some kind of quest. ( )
1 vote kagan | Jul 15, 2009 |
Two editions from the same year: one from Necessary Evil Press as limited edition hardback (240 pages extant) in 400 numbered and signed copies, and 26 lettered and signed copies; another from Leisure as a Mass Market Paperback (325 pages)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,410,139 books! | Top bar: Always visible