Run

by Ann Patchett

Fiction. Literature. HTML:

"Engaging, surprising, provocative and moving...a thoroughly intelligent book, an intimate domestic drama that nonetheless deals with big issues touching us all: religion, race, class, politics and, above all else, family." ‚?? Washington Post

From New York Times bestselling author Ann Patchett comes an engrossing story of one family on one fateful night in Boston where secrets are unlocked and new bonds are formed.

Since their mother's death, Tip and Teddy Doyle have been raised by their loving possessive and ambitions father. As the former mayor of Boston, Bernard Doyle wants to see is sons in politics, a dream the boys have never shared. But when an argument in a blinding New England snowstorm inadvertently causes an accident that involves a stranger and her child, all Bernard Doyle cares about is his ability to keep his children‚??all his children‚??safe.

Set over a period of twenty-four hours, Run takes us from the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard to a home for retired Catholic Priests in downtown Boston. It shows us how worlds of privilege and poverty can coexist only blocks apart from each other, and how family can include people you've never even met. As an in her bestselling novel, Bel Canto, Ann Patchett illustrates the humanity that connects disparate lives, weaving several stories into one surprising and endlessly moving narrative. Suspenseful and stunningly executed, Run is ultimately a novel about secrets, duty, responsibility, and the lengths we will go to protect our child… (more)

Swamplandia! by Karen Russell (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Burgess Boys by Elizabeth Strout (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: A dramatic incident provokes adult siblings to explore their lives and relationships in these moving and lyrical novels. While more about family than race, both books include thought-provoking meditations on the complexity of racial relations in 21st century America.… (more)
    The Garden Party: A Novel by Grace Dane Mazur (Ciruelo)

English (184)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (187)
Swept along nicely but I preferred the intricacies and relationships in Bel Canto. ( )
  featherbooks | May 7, 2024 |
While slow in places, this is a very beautiful book, reminiscent in ways of Agee's A Death in the Family--not in terms of the story, but in the way it reveals so many characters. I love that Patchett doesn't resort to chapters headed by the characters' names but just shifts seamlessly through the hearts and minds of the different family members.

Kenya will be on my list of all-time favorite characters. What a beautifully written young girl with an amazing spirit.

Also, so many layers of maternal onion! At the end, it all comes full circle. Without spoilers, it is managed in a way that normally I'd find trite, but instead I was in tears. Patchett often makes me cry. Her exploration of family dynamics is exceptional (see The Dutch House). I love that Run is about Kenya, but also about them all: running for office, Uncle Sullivan in the hospital telling Teddy to run, etc. There's also an undercurrent of the idea of penance, which in Patchett's hands transcends religion and seems to be part and parcel of our ability to participate in humanity. ( )
  rebcamuse | May 5, 2024 |
CD-Two boys adopted at early age ?find? their mother as a result of the mother saving one of the boys from being hit by a car; but being hit herself.
  bentstoker | Jan 26, 2024 |
Beautifully written story about a father and his three motherless sons whose lives are transformed by an accident and one very special eleven year old girl. ( )
  wilkinchristie | Jan 13, 2024 |
Another Ann Patchett book that manages, through wonderful writing, to put you in the book, not just in your chair reading the book.
Many memorable scenes and passages, from the earliest pages (Doyle was tired. His grief was so fresh he hadn't begun to see the worst of it yet. He was still expecting his wife to come down the stairs and ask him if he felt like splitting an orange.) to the coming-to-the-end pages (With those few words, so true and therefore easily given, she all but fell down next to him on the couch in a swoon of happiness.)
I give it 4 stars instead of 5 only because it is a cold and snowy book, and also, I got to feeling like we'd NEVER get out of the hospital. ( )
  ReadMeAnother | Nov 29, 2023 |

Patchett, Annprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aum√ľller, UliÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fortier-Masek, Marie-OdileTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montijn, HienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Piraccini, SilviaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my sister, Heather Patchettand my stepmother, Jerri Patchett
Bernadette had been dead two weeks when her sisters showed up in Doyle's living room asking for the statue back.
Beg all you want, Doyle never read more than a chapter a night.
Bernadette's luck had been her life, her love for her husband and her son's, the joy in her home. Her existence did not add up to a handful of tests meant to win her place in heaven.
That was not to say they were all thinking noble thought of medical science. Most of them, he knew them well enough to say, were probably thinking of dinner about now, about cleaning out their apartments and getting the hell out of Baltimore.
Jackson did't lecture so much as hypnotize. Once you gave over to the swinging cadence of his oratory you found yourself agreeing with ideas you could never completely remember. Bit by bit Jackson took over Doyle, washed him down in the waves of mellifluous repetition until the speaker and the listener were one. (p. 32)
Over the course of his lifetime, God and Father Sullivan had changed together. When he was a young priest teaching American and European history to Catholic boys and coaching basketball in the winter and baseball in the spring, God was made of sterner stuff. (p. 126)

Fiction. Literature. HTML:

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 205,893,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible