Essentials of Cooking

by James Peterson

In this unrivaled practical guide, one of America's most widely respected cookbook authors distills his vast knowledge and experience into the 100 essential techniques that every cook needs to know. Seven hundred and fifty photographs unravel the mysteries of the method and provide practical application on the spot. Each technique is further explained in terms of how it makes the food taste: What happens, for example, if you cook the fish in butter versus oil? Why does roasting make vegetables taste so good? How do you decide whether you want to make a chicken stew or sautT? Here are answers to just about every cooking question, from the simple to the sublime: how to boil an artichoke or cook a soft-boiled egg, or how to clean soft-shell crabs or even butcher and roast a whole saddle of lamb. Knowing how to execute a technique makes you efficient; knowing why you've chosen that technique makes you a master.… (more)

2000
  DeliAR7 | Mar 24, 2021 |
I purchased this book because it's GREAT for explaining kitchen basics to novices -- I bring it with me when I do demos, and I assigned it to new staff in my catering kitchen. Shows (text and photos) how to slice, dice & julienne; infusing oils; using a potato masher; poaching fish, etc. Great choice for those who want a book that explains cooking basics. ( )
  beau.p.laurence | Jul 23, 2006 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,851,866 books! | Top bar: Always visible