The Steadfast Tin Soldier (1992)

by Hans Christian Andersen, Samantha Easton

Other authors: Hans Christian Andersen, P.J Lynch (Illustrator)

7191425,403 (4)12
The perilous adventures of a toy soldier who loves a paper dancing girl culminate in tragedy for both of them.
    The Dolls' House by Rumer Godden (Miels)
    Miels: A sweet and similarly poignant story of personified dolls.

lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
I felt so-so about the book. One thing I didn’t like about the book was that the paragraphs were kind of long and felt out of place with the artwork. The artwork is a very elaborate and detailed watercolor and it’s beautiful, but then you see the paragraph just kind of thrown onto the page in a harsh font. The artwork and the text do not mesh well together, in my opinion. However, I did like the story. I thought the story was very cute how in the end the tin soldier and the ballerina, even though the goblin tried to keep them apart, they still were able to be together. The main idea of the book is that no matter what happens, whatever is destined to be will happen in the end. ( )
  eplack2 | Oct 14, 2017 |
For a freebie from itunes, this was beautifully done, however the story, itself, was just awful. Don't read it to kids if your looking for a happily-ever-after type tale or if they cry when characters die. ( )
  vonze | Sep 19, 2017 |
The Steadfast Tin Soldier By: Hans Christian Anderson Retold By: Cynthia Rylant and Illustrated By Jen Corace
Summary
This book tells the tale of a one legged tin soldier who falls in love with a dancer. It tells of the many obstacles he encounters in his life. It tells of a goblin who tries to prevent the soldier and the dancer from being together. It tells of all the obstacles and adventures he must overcome. However, in the end the tin soldier and the dancer end up together forever.

Reaction
This book is written from the 3rd person point of view. The book’s setting goes from a toy room, to down a drain, to a sea full of fish, a kitchen, and to a fiery pit. The author uses similes throughout. The tale is one that shows children the importance of never giving up. It also tells that in life we will face obstacles, but if we persevere we can succeed. The illustrations of this book are cartoon like, however, they give you the view from a toys perspective. They allow their readers to be captured into the position of the tin soldier and dancer. This book shows that at times we have to accept our circumstances. However, at times these circumstances are not the end of the story. Throughout the book I am reminded that at every age we have obstacles to overcome but remaining steadfast allows us to overcome. The plot of this story is to not give up even in bad circumstances.
Extension
1. Ask children what obstacles they have overcome.
2. Have children say how they relate to the tin soldier.
3. Have children make a one legged soldier.
4. Have children write short story from point of view of dancer and goblin.
5. Have children make a web of obstacles soldier had and how he overcame them.
6. Give children words to look up such as steadfast, courage, challenge, magnificent, flattering, clumsy, and stumble. Have children then use words in a sentence. These words may be new to children. ( )
  RebekahBowers | Jun 30, 2016 |
I liked this book for two reasons. First, the bright and vivid illustrations enhance the story. The charcoal illustrations use bright colors to captivate the audience and provide students with an image as they follow along with the story. The illustrations enhance the text because it provides an image of an unusual and abstract story that the audience may have difficulty envisioning. The illustrations are detailed and realistic, making the illustrations an integral part of the story. I also like the language in the book. The language is descriptive. For example, the author writes, "However, just as he was adjusting himself to life in a fish, he was blinded by a great streak of light, and he felt himself being lifted up and put on a table. All around him there was great commotion, but he was so dizzy from his adventures that he could not understand what was happening. The soldier received a soapy bath. The soap so stung his eyes" (p. 23). The author uses descriptive language to appeal to the audience's five senses. By using the five senses, the author appeals to the audience and provides detailed descriptions throughout the story. Overall, the big idea of this book is determination, as the one-legged tin soldier finds his way back to his love, the ballerina. The story focuses on determination. ( )
  kaylafrey | Apr 18, 2016 |

Lucas, Elizabeth GriffinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lynch, P.JIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spink, ReginaldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Poolbeg Press

An edition of this book was published by Poolbeg Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,140,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible