Third Girl by Agatha Christie

Third Girl (1966)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Hercule Poirot Mystery (38), Ariadne Oliver (6)

Three single girls share a London flat. The first works as a secretary; the second is an artist; the third, who comes to Poirot for help, disappears believing she is a murderer. There are rumors of revolvers, flick-knives, and blood stains. But, without hard evidence, it will take all Poirot's tenacity to establish whether the third girl is guilty, innocent or insane.… (more)

English (33)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (36)
In which Poirot and Mrs. Oliver pursue an unknown crime, and an unknown perpetrator, and the dreaded young generation.

No good. It’s always interesting to see Poirot – whose liveliness in the ’20s and ’30s has naturally subsided – having to deal with the ‘modern generation’ but, unfortunately, Christie herself still seems to be dealing with them. As a result, "Third Girl" comes off as unaware and confused about itself. The nature of the mystery uses a number of plot elements from previous novels without every distinguishing it.

The Suchet adaptation was passable, although far from the best, and that’s not surprising: very little happens in this novel, and what does happen is eminently forgettable. For Christie fans only.

Poirot ranking: 34th out of 38. ( )
  therebelprince | Oct 30, 2018 |
I read a lot of Agatha Christie when I was in middle school. Honestly, I can't imagine why I enjoyed her books so much. This one was dull and wrapped up far too nicely in the last couple of pages. ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
I'm not supposed to figure out what is going on way before Poirot does, but it happened this time. Not the best mystery. However, the wonderful Ariadne Oliver has a big part in this one, which always makes me happy. There is an odd time warp effect reading this - Christie was trying hard to be up to date, setting the story in swinging mod London in the 60's. But the frequent cultural references make it feel like more of a bygone era than the settings of her earlier books. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
I liked this one. the story was very complex. I actually guessed the ending pretty early on, but I second guessed myself and by halfway through, I was certain my pet theory was incorrect, but I had been right all along. Recommended to any Poirot fans. ( )
  ktlavender | Jul 17, 2017 |
Third Girl - Christie
Audio performance by Hugh Fraser
4 stars

Poirot and Ariadne Oliver put their aging heads together,, little grey cells and errant hair pieces, to disentangle the clues and solve the murder. It wasn’t only Poirot who was aging. Agatha Christie was having a hard time with the groovy sixties drug scene. This was not one of her best, but I did like that Poirot managed to keep his head up to soothe his damaged pride with the perfect denouement. ( )
  msjudy | May 4, 2017 |

Agatha Christieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fraser, HughNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Janus, EddaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Laurel, FaithCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tetri, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Norah Blackmore
Hercule Poirot was sitting at the breakfast table.
“An Ophelia devoid of physical attraction.”

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,824,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible