The Grand Tour, or, The Purloined Coronation Regalia (2004)

by Patricia C. Wrede, Caroline Stevermer

Series: Sorcery and Cecelia (2)

In 1817, two English cousins take a honeymoon "Grand Tour of the Continent" with their new husbands and become entangled in a mysterious plot to create a magical Emperor of Europe.

A most excellently constructed jaunt. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
Starts out slow, gets better in the second half. It's never as good as the first book in the series (Sorcery and Cecilia), though -- or perhaps I just prefer falling-in-love stories to honeymoon stories. ( )
  elenaj | Jul 31, 2020 |
Not quite as good as the first, but I still love it! ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
Fun and easy. But frothy stories are much like champagne; sparkling and delightful, but too much and things just get silly.

This was nowhere near as tight, elegant, restrained and delicately balanced as Sorcery and Cecelia. It's substantially longer and bigger in scope, and unlike with the first one, the first-person documents storytelling style doesn't really work. Any passages of pure narrative - conversations and such - in the first one was carefully explained in the text ("I wish to record this most precisely as the details may be important" or similar) and thus it made a modicum of sense (as much as that sort of gimmick ever does). But in this one, being not letters to each other but the diary of one and the deposition of the other, the extensive passages of narrative are rather more outlandish. (Not to mention that the cousin who winds up in danger is the one whose deposition we're reading, rather removing any actual fear for her life that might have been present were we reading her diary, which might have survived her. But since actual suspense is not the point of these stories - charming ladylike adventures are - I'm being overly picky and I know it.) ( )
  cupiscent | Aug 3, 2019 |
A follow up to Sorcery and Cecelia... The girls are on their honeymoons and having a lovely adventure. It's not quite the same as having a letter game and it seems a little harder to tell them apart at times. It's all fun and fluff, though the paternalistic nature of their marriages is a bit creepy but true to the story. I enjoyed it, but not as much as the first one. (December 16, 2004) ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |

Eismann, KellyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Elwell, TristanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Isaacs, PatriciaMap designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rayner, LucyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deepest gratitude to Chris Bell, Charlotte Boynton, Anna Feruglio Dal Dan, Diana Wynne Jones, Anna Mazzoldi, Delia Sherman, Sherwood Smith, and Eve Sweetser, who helped to catch the mistakes we made in this book. Any fresh errors are, of course, our own.
I suppose that if I were going to blame our involvement on anyone (which I see no reason to do), I would be compelled to say it was all Aunt Charlotte's fault.
I suppose somewhere, down deep inside, everyone has her own goat. We know it when we see it.

In 1817, two cousins take a honeymoon "Grand Tour of the Continent" with their new husbands and become entangled in a mysterious plot to create a magical Emperor of Europe. [Library of Congress summary]

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,385,714 books! | Top bar: Always visible