An Unquiet Mind: A Memoir of Moods and…

An Unquiet Mind: A Memoir of Moods and Madness

by Kay Redfield Jamison

The Center Cannot Hold: My Journey Through Madness by Elyn R. Saks (meggyweg)
    The Rules of the Tunnel: A Brief Period of Madness by Ned Zeman (kraaivrouw)
    Professional Patient: A Memoir of Bipolar Disorder by Leesa Abbott (StacyHawkins)
    Electroboy: A Memoir of Mania by Andy Behrman (SqueakyChu)
    A Mood Apart: The Thinker's Guide to Emotion and Its Disorders by Peter C. Whybrow (meggyweg)
    The Day the Voices Stopped: A Schizophrenic's Journey from Madness to Hope by Ken Steele (meggyweg)
    Hyper : en beretning om uro by Pernille Dysthe (grmb)
    grmb: Bøkene omhandler kvinner som i voksen alder får en diagnose på en kronisk psykiatrisk lidelse som i stor grad innvirker på deres liv, sitt forhold til seg selv og andre. Begge bøkene gir et godt innenfra perspektiv på hvordan det kan oppleves å ikke ha kontroll på stemningsnivå og uro. Begge bøkene kan bidra til økt forståelse for hvordan lidelsene; henholdsvis ADHD og bipolar lidelse arter seg-og at mennesker med psykiatrisk lidelse har en diagnose-ikke er en diagnose. De er to kvinner som finner sine strategier å leve med sitt handicap-på godt og vondt.… (more)

English (34)  German (1)  All languages (35)
I'm bipolar and this book was infuriating. This woman is just full of herself and acts like being bipolar is like having a cold or something. When her doctor dared to suggest that, given the severity of her case, she not have biological children, she blew up on him. I chose not to have children because I do not want to pass this on and I don't have half the issues this chick has. It's not like giving your kids an ugly nose or making them acne-prone. This disorder is very real and can be horrifying, and this woman seems to have no idea, even when she's floating in the middle of it. I shudder to think of other people reading this and a) thinking that's how we all are, or (b) adopting her selfish, irate attitude. ( )
  grammarchick | Jan 5, 2016 |
  grammarchick | Jan 5, 2016 |
Interesting. Surprisingly quiet, ironically, as there's no dialogue - it's just a "this happened and this is how I felt about and then I made this choice and then that happened" for 200 pp. No bibliography or notes, virtually no outside perspective.

I found it amazing that Jamison had so much support, so much love, and still fought not to take her meds. A reader is made to realize that it's not surprising that so many people effectively resist treatment, because they really do feel best when manic, as they don't have the support she did to help them feel better at other times. And she makes it abundantly clear that it's meds psychotherapy that is necessary and best for most sufferers.

I found it disturbing that she feels that her low moods are comparable to being old. Granted, I am less passionate as I age, and less athletic, but I wouldn't have to be. Even the very infirm might very well feel ecstasies - and young, healthy people get clinically, chronically depressed, too. I want to know how she views the comparison that she made here, now that she herself is older.

Overall, well-written, and valuable, especially as an advocacy to convince people to get good help and to follow through with prescribed treatment plans. But not the first book I'd recommend to people looking for help. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
As someone with bipolar disorder (or manic depressive disorder, if you prefer), I know this kind of subject matter well. Reading the author's unfolding story had me doing a lot of "yep, been there and done that" but also a lot of "wow, I'm glad that didn't happen to me" and "huh, I wonder why THIS didn't happen to her even though it happened to me so many times".

I expected all of that. People with bipolar disorder stop at a lot of the same way stations but travel between them in a huge array of styles.

What I didn't expect was for this book to be so triggering for me, primarily in the explanation of how hard it is to stay on medication. While reading those parts, I found myself longing for the person that *I* was without medication. This is a struggle that it seems like nobody really escapes (at least nobody that I've known), and the fact that I felt it so keenly while reading this book makes me suspect that the author does a good job of conveying how hard it can be to stay medicated - even when you know intellectually that it's saving your life.

Would somebody 'normal' find this as good of a read as I did? No clue... but I'm probably as close to 'normal' as I'll ever get and I liked it. :)
2 vote ratastrophe | Jan 12, 2015 |
I doubt sometimes whether
a quiet & unagitated life
would have suited me–yet I
sometimes long for it.
-Byron
For my mother, Dell Temple Jamison
Who gave me life not once, but countless times
When it's two o'clock in the morning, and you're manic, even the UCLA Medical Center has a certain appeal. (Prologue)
I was standing with my head back, one pigtail caught between my teeth, listening to the jet overhead.
"Moods are such an essential part of the substance of life, of one's notion of oneself, that even psychotic extremes in mood and behavior can somehow be seen as temporary, even understandable, reactions to what life has dealt."
"It took me far too long to realize that lost years and relationships cannot be recovered, that damage done to oneself and others cannot always be put right again, and that freedom from the control imposed by medication loses its meaning when the only alternatives are death and insanity."
"If we got rid of all the manic-depressives on the medical school faculty, not only would we have a much smaller faculty, it would also be a far more boring one." (chairman of the Department of Psychiatry at Johns Hopkins Hospital)

In her memoir, Unquiet Mind, Jamison tells of her battle with the illness: the joy of the manic highs, which gave her an omnipotent feeling of cosmic connectedness, and the terrifying depressions, when she wanted only to die. An Unquiet Mind tells of how Jamison used her zeal and intensity, and her impressive intellectual gfts, to bring the complexities of manic-depressive illness to the world's attention. Her work has helped save countless lives.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679763309, Paperback)

In Touched with Fire, Kay Redfield Jamison, a psychiatrist, turned a mirror on the creativity so often associated with mental illness. In this book she turns that mirror on herself. With breathtaking honesty she tells of her own manic depression, the bitter costs of her illness, and its paradoxical benefits: "There is a particular kind of pain, elation, loneliness and terror involved in this kind of madness.... It will never end, for madness carves its own reality." This is one of the best scientific autobiographies ever written, a combination of clarity, truth, and insight into human character. "We are all, as Byron put it, differently organized," Jamison writes. "We each move within the restraints of our temperament and live up only partially to its possibilities." Jamison's ability to live fully within her limitations is an inspiration to her fellow mortals, whatever our particular burdens may be. --Mary Ellen Curtin

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:30 -0400)

The author recounts her own personal struggle with manic-depression and how it has shaped her life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,918,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible