The Music of Dolphins by Karen Hesse

The Music of Dolphins (1996)

by Karen Hesse

1,285None6,138 (3.9)18

Inside the head of a feral child raised by dolphins. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
The tagline of this book: "Simple is better." This theme runs throughout the writing of The Music of Dolphins. Karen Heese has created a simple, yet extraordinarily powerful and beautiful book that will stick with readers for a long time.

There were many things that stuck out about this book. One of these things is that I liked the writing style and the plot. Karen Heese is a great writer, her writing seems to really touch me. The pacing of the book was slow at some points, but then, shortly after, it quickens.
        I love how she decided to portray Mila through the font of the book (the font got larger when Mila stopped learning, it got smaller as Mila learned more). I thought this was a really creative idea!
        Following our "simple is better" tagline, the plot was simple, yet beautiful. This idea is pretty creative, but it's the actual execution that "seals the deal." I love the idea of a girl raised by dolphins, and there are a multitude of plot twists (some fairly predictable, others not so much).
“I don't know what I am thinking. But I am alone. I am trapped in the net of the room. In the net of humans. I think maybe I am drowning in the net of humans.” My main critique regards the undeveloped characters. I felt the characters weren't as developed as they could have been - especially Mila. They all felt one-denominational, and there really isn't anything particularly special about any of them. Even though they are definitely realistic characters, I couldn't connect or empathize with any of them. The "simple is better" tagline was definitely applied to the characterization aspect of the story - but it definitely had a negative impact.

All in all, this is a beautiful and powerful story that I'd recommend to animal-lovers. This is definitely a beautiful book that readers will not forget. ( )
  ZoeSNicholson | Sep 16, 2013 |
raised by dolphins, girl put in science experiment when discovered in sea

8.98 ( )
  aletheia21 | Mar 18, 2012 |
after being raised by dolphins for most of her life, this young girls in "rescued" from the wild and returns to the human world. she has to be rehabilitated to the world that she lost but she doesnt want to let go of her dolphin world. she finds love in the new world but still longs for the old.
  nkertz | Dec 4, 2011 |
This was a story about a feral girl who grew up living with dolphins. She is found and brought back to be studied and to be taught how to live like other humans. She struggles with the complex human social ways and just wants to go back to the sea where things are simple. ( )
  lekenned | Nov 30, 2011 |
To Randy. For twenty-five years you have kept me afloat.
I swim out to them on the murmuring sea.

From the back cover: "Mila creates headlines around the world when she is rescued from an unpopulated island off the coast of Florida. Now a teenager, she has been raised by dolphins from the age of four. Researchers teach Mila language and music. She learns, too, about rules and expectations, about locked doors and broken promises, disappointment and betrayal. The More Mila finds out what it means to be human, the more deeply she longs for her ocean home. . ."

After rescuing an adolescent girl from the sea, researchers learn she has been raised by dolphins and attempt to rehabilitate her to the human world.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,486,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible