Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom (1994)

by bell hooks

First published in 1994. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa company.

English (13)  Spanish (2)  All languages (15)
I particularly enjoyed the dialogue around "building a teaching community," which prompted me to think critically about my own actions and how they reinforce or transgress against existing power structures. Overall this book did not feel revelationary to me but provided another perspective on power, on teaching, and on critical thinking. My biggest beef would be that I don't feel like I understand what she meant specifically by "liberatory practice" or "education as the practice of freedom." Does she mean that, by encouraging students in their development as whole human beings, you are freeing them from... something? Freeing them to be their best selves? Given how central that is to the book maybe I should have a better understanding after finishing it. Maybe the next time I encounter this idea, this book will have given me a good foundation for "getting it." ( )
  haagen_daz | Jun 6, 2019 |
I read this during graduate school - and found it to be one of the biggest influences in the way I thought about education. I am so grateful to Dr. K.J. for introducing me to this book, and this educational philosophy, which I still heartily embrace, sixteen years on. ( )
  ptkpepe98 | Mar 19, 2018 |
One of the best texts I have ever read. Certainly things to be critical about, but a book I would recommend to teacher, student, parent, or 'layperson' without hesitation. ( )
1 vote rastamandj | Jun 14, 2017 |
Every one of us has been a student, and most of us are also teachers (and still students) even if that isn't our job title. In this books hooks gives us the best kind of theory -- passionate, clear, centered, direct -- and shifts our ideas of what the classroom should be and do. While changing the dynamic of the classroom is at the core of the book, in these inter-related essays hooks gracefully and meaningfully weaves in personal experience, trusted sources, race, class, gender, regionalism, and history. While her focus is on the college classroom (and frequently that mid-90s women's studies classroom that is so close to my heart), her lessons apply to parents, librarians, teammates, committee members, and more. And if you are an actual classroom teacher? Then, my friend, let me buy you a copy of this book. ( )
  kristykay22 | Jun 7, 2017 |
This is the first book of hooks' that I've read—a collection of stand-alone essays in which she reflects on the concept of pedagogy as liberation. Essay collections are almost always a mixed bag and there are some in here that didn't work for me—the one that's structured as a dialogue between her and her writing pseudonym, or the rather uncomfortable one on eros in the classroom (that one needed a lot of teasing out and consideration of agape, philia, storge, and a hell of a lot more nuance and acknowledgement of the power differentials and potentials for abuse within what she's advocating). Yet there are other essays here which are powerful and (sadly) still relevant more than twenty years after the collection was first published. Definitely recommended for those doing work in the college classroom. ( )
  siriaeve | Feb 2, 2016 |
In the weeks before the English Department at Oberlin College was about to decide whether or not I would be granted tenure, I was haunted by dreams of running away--of disappearing--yes, of even dying.
When we, as educators, allow our pedagogy to be radically changed by our recognition of a multicultural world, we can give students the education they desire and deserve. We can teach in ways that transform consciousness, creating a climate of free expression that is the essence of a truly liberal arts education.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,065,150 books! | Top bar: Always visible