The Letters of J. R. R. Tolkien (1981)

by J. R. R. Tolkien

Other authors: Humphrey Carpenter (Editor), Christopher Tolkien (Editor)

Biography & Autobiography. Nonfiction. HTML:

This collection will entertain all who appreciate the art of masterful letter writing. The Letters of J.R.R Tolkien sheds much light on Tolkien's creative genius and grand design for the creation of a whole new world: Middle-earth. Featuring a radically expanded index, this volume provides a valuable research tool for all fans wishing to trace the evolution of THE HOBBIT and THE LORD OF THE RINGS.

.… (more)

English (15)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (17)
An absolute must-read for Tolkien fans, and as good a companion to Carpenter's biography ([b:J.R.R. Tolkien: A Biography|7336|J.R.R. Tolkien A Biography|Humphrey Carpenter|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1386924632i/7336._SY75_.jpg|493147]) as you will find. The letters are wide-ranging across Tolkien's life and cover everything from the wars to his books to his academic career to the loss of his wife. Long and sometimes dense in places, it is well worth the time it takes to read. ( )
  Library_Guard | Jun 17, 2024 |
I have about seventy-five pages that I need to go back and copy out quotes. Not only are there some amazing insights into Middle Earth and Tolkien himself here, but there is a treasure-trove of wisdom to be had from his many letters. ( )
  Jeffrey_G | Nov 22, 2022 |
Dear Unwin,
the Hobbit will be ready tomorrow, honest.

Dear Unwin,
I've been swamped by illness, work, exams, more work, more exams, lectures, more work and more exams. I can't possibly get it ready this decade.

did you like it?

Dear Unwin,
glad you liked it. The illustrations will be ready tomorrow.

...this decade, etc.

Dear Unwin,
I may have no taste but the American cover art is appalling and did they even read the book?

Tolkien.

[Repeat all of the above w.r.t LoTR]

Dear [Inkling]
the other Inklings' work is mostly rubbish but I like it in parts and even though they are annoying I like them really.

Yours,

Tolkers.

[repeat with every other Inkling]

Dear [somebody acquainted with me]
that critic is impertinent and did he even read the book?

Yours, annoyed,

JRRT

Dear Christopher,
you are the only one who understands me! I love you! Sob!

Your
Father.
[Above written in Anglo-Saxon.]

Dear Nazi scum,
you, Apartheid supporters, Colonialists and other racist groups are all intellectually and morally defective. The Jews are a fine people and I would be proud to have Jewish ancestry but as far as I know I don't.

Yours with no respect at all.

Dear [any translator of LoTR]
your translation is rubbish; why do you translate names that are not in English? Your translations are unnecessary and show a poor grasp of [your native language]. [Demonstrates a superior knowledge of the translator's language.] Here's a book I wrote about how to translate my book.

Dear {Member of public]
thank you for your interesting questions. Enclosed is a set of answers in obsessive detail that I worked out prior to my 5th birthday. It includes philological details unintelligible to any person lay in the subject.

Dear {Critic I like]
thank you for your encouraging, perceptive review.

Dear [prospective interviewer]
leave me alone.

Tolkien.

Dear [Reader who said something stupid]
as any one with a modicum of understanding of [Old Ancient High Low North Western Indo-European Obscure Language], which is surely everybody, knows, you are completely wrong. Enclosed is a detailed explanation, incomprehensible to anyone lay in philology. And anyway it says you're wrong in the Appendices.

Dear Christopher,
the Roman Catholic Church is axiomatically right about everything even though most of its priests are idiotic, uneducated, corrupt, morally defective, politcally-minded perverts.

Your

Father.

----------------------------------------

That, if repeated many times over, is this book. It's interesting in parts and dull (because repetitive) in others. It shows a man jealously protective of his work, easily irritated (although by things that would probably wind up many an author) in search of an unmechanised rural idyll that never existed in the same way as [a:Thomas Hardy|15905|Thomas Hardy|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1189902685p2/15905.jpg]. Enormously erudite, he struggled to understand why other people might find Anglo-Saxon difficult - a common problem with people of enormous talent in any intellectual discipline being the inability to conceive of it being anything but simple to grasp.

Worthwhile for anybody who wants to know more of what Tolkien the person was like. ( )
1 vote Arbieroo | Jul 17, 2020 |
I felt it was a bit too invasive to be reading someone's letters that were never supposed to be for the eyes of anyone who wasn't the person it was addressed to, but this was an interesting read about the man who created the Lord of the Rings series. ( )
  Tarklovishki | Oct 31, 2014 |
Well, an author like any other artist, is best experienced through the art they produce. Too close an acquaintance, as some of these letters reveal, may be disillusioning. One should not rely too heavily on one's mental picture of JRRT as the kind and loving father to anyone other than Christopher Tolkien. I was surprised to discover that he had other children, and his wife did not die sometime in the 1930's but was his lifelong companion. Perhaps the wife and other children didn't wish to expose any more of their lives to the gawping public, and that certainly is their right. But it does add a little depth to the figure presented by this selection of the letters. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Apr 15, 2014 |
Tolkien's letters are really the best source for what the author thought about the world he devised and the characters he created to populate it.
added by Shortride | editSalon, Laura Miller (Dec 19, 2002)

Tolkien, J. R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carpenter, HumphreyEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tolkien, ChristopherEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ebert, DietrichCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Krege, WolfgangTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuchart, MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sylwanowicz, AgnieszkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valkonen, TeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Towards the end of his life, J. R. R. Tolkien was deprived for a few weeks of his right arm. He told his publisher: 'I found not being able to use a pen or pencil as defeating as the loss of her beak would be to a hen.' [Introduction by Humphrey Carpenter]
My Edith darling: Yes I was rather surprised by your card of Sat. morning and rather sorry because I knew my letter would have to wander after you. [Letter no. 1]
Biography & Autobiography. Nonfiction. HTML:

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,137,903 books! | Top bar: Always visible