Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Presumed Innocent by Scott Turow

Presumed Innocent (1987)

by Scott Turow

Series: Kindle County (1)

Defending Jacob by William Landay (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Personal lives are in thrown into turmoil as connections to a murder threaten careers and family relationships. Despite their differences, these two legal thrillers both contain masterfully crafted characterizations and dialogue as well as emotional depth.… (more)
    Beyond Suspicion by James Grippando (amyblue)

English (52)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (54)
Presumed Innocent is quite an exceptional book, whilst the opening quarter outside of the courtroom where circumstances of the crime and the political atmosphere is set up is quite slow it becomes apparent as the story unfolds in the latter three quarters that the first quarter's detail and fleshing out of each character was very much needed.

Whilst there are the inevitable comparisons between John Grisham and Scott Turow as legal thriller writers with a specific focus on the courtroom drama aspect, I can't help but feel Turow's characters are more detailed. Most characters in this story are not just the straightforward type one finds in Grisham's books that are usually Good or Bad, Ethical or Unethical, but rather there's a realistic cloud of flaws that becomes apparent as the story develops with motivations for their actions varying.

I especially like the courtroom drama that reaches a peak around the three quarter mark at which point the book has gone from rather detail oriented to interesting to gripping such that one wishes to plough through and finish the story immediately to see where things go.

And boy do they go, there's a few twists and developments which you don't see coming that make it all the more interesting, and give new light to the first quarter where things seemed so obvious and straightforward.

A very enjoyable legal thriller. ( )
  HenriMoreaux | Jun 7, 2019 |
Slogged halfway through then abandoned. Too crude and vulgar for my taste. Story must have been buried underneath gratuitousness but it never caught fire for me. ( )
  janerawoof | May 18, 2019 |
3.5 stars ( )
  mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |
Starts slow and it develops. The ending is great.
#5 of the Top 100 Mystery Novels of All Time by Mystery Writers of America ( )
  zhoud2005 | Mar 24, 2018 |
I recently re-read this, and it's still wonderful. The writing is sharp and brooding, and the plotting is superb. ( )
  MichaelBarsa | Dec 17, 2017 |

Turow, Scottprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pozanco, VíctorTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rambelli, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother
This is how I always start: "I am the prosecutor."

Presumed Innocent brings to life our worst nightmare: that of an ordinary citizen facing conviction for the most terrible of all crimes. It's the stunning portrayal of one man's all-too-human, all-consuming fatal attraction for a passionate woman who is ot his wife, and the story of how his obsession puts everything he loves and values on trial -including his own life. It's a book that lays bare a shocking world of betrayal and murder, as well as the hidden depths of the human heart.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446359866, Mass Market Paperback)

Scott Turow's #1 runaway bestseller comes to theaters everywhere as a major motion picture from Warner Bros., starring Harrison Ford, Brian Dennehy, Raul Julia, and Bonnie Bedelia, directed by Alan Pakula, best known for his award-winning work in "Klute".

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:17 -0400)

"In its portrayal of one man's ordeal, ... raises serious questions about our legal system, about its casual corruptions and inequities, about the public and private motivations which often determine matters of life and death."--Houston Post.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,483,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible