Branded: The Buying and Selling of Teenagers

by Alissa Quart

Generation Y has grown up in an age of the brand, bombarded by name products. In Branded, Alissa Quart illuminates the unsettling new reality of marketing to teenagers, as well as the quieter but no less worrisome forms of teen branding: the teen consultants who work for corporations in exchange for product; the girls obsessed with cosmetic surgery who will do anything to look like women on TV; and those teens simply obsessed with admission into a name-brand college. We also meet the pockets of kids attempting to turn the tables on the cocksure corporations that so cynically strive to manipulate them. Chilling, thought-provoking, even darkly amusing, Branded brings one of the most disturbing and least talked about results of contemporary business and culture to the fore-and ensures that we will never look at today's youth the same way again.… (more)

English (4)  Finnish (1)  All languages (5)
Parents and teens need to know what the current culture is doing on purpose to influence and buy teenagers! ( )
  jdrullard | Dec 8, 2010 |
Bored: Das Buch beschäftigt sich mit dem Einfluß von Marken und Werbung auf Kinder und Jugendliche in den USA.
Dargestellt werden weniger Fakten sondern die Autorin untermautert ihre Darstellung mit "Experten"-Zitaten und "Fallbeispielen".
Zeitweise gelingt es so der Autorin ihre Kritik an den Entwicklungen recht anschaulich darzustellen. Eine "wissenscahftliche" Darstellung findet sich in keinem Teil des Buches. Unerträglich an dem Buch sind aber die endlosen Wiederholungen: Jedes Argument wird wiederholt durchgekaut ohne dadurch an Gewicht zu gewinnen.
Auf 100 Seiten gekürzt und mit etwas mehr Fakten (statt "Fallbeispielen") versehen, wäre es duchaus ein interessantes Buch geworden.
  r1hard | Nov 22, 2009 |
Branded is, if nothing else, interesting and somewhat insightful. I felt that the book's premise and argument was, well, simplistic (consumer identity is a driving factor in teenage and tweenage lives? Wow, I had NO idea!!)

To be fair, the book did cause me to think a little more sensitively about my own engagement with brands, and it reminded me that most brands have such a short lifespan anyway. This book was published in 2003, during the height of my teendom, and even I have a hard time recalling brands and celebrities that are discussed are the "big thing" in 2001/2002 parlance. (JT Leroy? Who's that?)

Though I think this book is preaching to the choir, for the most part, it's a good quick read. I look forward to passing it along! ( )
  aliay | Jul 4, 2009 |
Branded is an insightful look into the world of advertising to children. It explorers the lengths companies will go to get the money from this lucrative 'market'. Very disturbing and frustrating for anyone with kids. ( )
  heathweaver | Jul 18, 2006 |
Quart wants to prove that today's "branded" teens are a new breed, but her argument overreaches.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,085,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible