Brokeback Mountain (1997)

by Annie Proulx

Series: Proulx short stories

The story of Ennis del Mar and Jack Twist, two cowboys who share a small tent while working as herders and camp tenders during a summer spent on a range far above the tree line. They fall into a relationship that at first seems solely sexual but then reveals itself to be something more. Both men marry and have families, but over the course of many years and frequent separations they find their relationship becomes the most important thing in both their lives, and they do anything they can to maintain it. Proulx's description of their bond is beautiful and haunting and often brutal in its portrayal of the hardships, and ultimately the violence, they face.… (more)

English (78)  Dutch (3)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (83)
The greatest. A classic. But… Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal? Dear god, yeah, watch the movie. ( )
  piquareste | Jun 3, 2020 |
One of the best short stories in English language. ( )
  ThomasPluck | Apr 27, 2020 |
Difficult to read this short story without picturing the scenes from the movie. In many ways I found the movie more emotionally evocative due to Heath Ledger's performance, showing the anguish of being a closeted man torn between his loves and his social conformity. ( )
  dono421846 | Mar 21, 2020 |
Short, but a well written book. ( )
  RoxieT | Nov 9, 2019 |
Confessional: I saw the movie before I even started the Book Challenge. As a a rule, I would rather read the book first so my imagination is not tainted by images of the movie. I can only compare this avoidance to a hearing a song and how you sometimes lose the interpretation after you see the accompanying music video.
Having said all that, I was surprised at how the written story moved so fast. In a mere sixty-four pages Proulx tells the devastating story of Jack Twist and Ennis Del Mar. Both young men find themselves on the same job as ranchers guarding sheep on Brokeback Mountain in beautiful Montana. One accepted amorous advance leads to a deep connection that time and space cannot sever or erase. The love they have for one another remains strong despite the fact they put distance between them and move on to have relationships with women. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Jun 24, 2019 |

Proulx, Annieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dettore, M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dettore, MariapaolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scott, CampbellNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Willemse, ReginaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ennis del Mar wakes before five, wind rocking the trailer, hissing in around the aluminum door and window frames.
"I wish I knew how to quit you."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,682,697 books! | Top bar: Always visible