Sea-Horse in the Sky (1969)

by Edmund Cooper

At first he though it was all part of some crazy nightmare. But it wasn't.Russell Graheme, M.P. was one of a handful of passengers flying from Stockholm to London. One moment flying peacefully in the sky, the next lying in an un-Earthly green coffin.Grahame was the first to emerge from this strange resting place. But for him, as well as for the others, it had been only the ecliptical experience. Soon all were to find themselves lost in a bizarre world of Mediaeval knights, Stone Age warriors and gremlins, caught unalterably in the weirdest cocoon of Time.… (more)

This is a really good classic sci fi book. Thoughtful, interesting, unique, fast paced, with interesting ideas, problems to solve, and some nice character interactions.

I probably really only give it a 4.5, but the .5 off is for a somewhat rushed ending, but I'm going to give him a break as it was probably page limit requirements by the publisher, so common in that era, that forced him to rush it. ( )
  BoB3k | Jul 20, 2022 |
Russell Graham is a member of Parliament on a flight from Stockholm to London when things get interrupted and he awakens in a strange green coffin in a fake town containing only a store and a hotel. The road goes nowhere and the cars on it have no engines. He and a handful of his fellow passengers are stranded and must figure out what's going on. I really enjoyed this one, especially the journey through the story, slowly discovering the truth along with the characters. I can honestly say I did not predict the Big Reveal, and that made it even better. Definitely unlike any science fiction I've read recently - refreshingly so. I'm a little surprised I'd never heard of it. ( )
  melydia | May 6, 2013 |
This is a good science fiction story about different groups of people finding themselves in a very new and unexpected place. I liked how they figured out how to get beyond the river valley and learn who brought them there and why. ( )
  krin5292 | Feb 22, 2011 |
Rather imaginative story of being kidnapped by aliens. Not too bac a treatment for the idea so popular back in the '60s and '70s. ( )
  IllanoyGal | Jun 6, 2010 |

Cooper, EdmundAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bergen, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Foss, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reß-Bobusch, BirgitTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Goldmann SF (23325)

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,081,923 books! | Top bar: Always visible